Chapter 19: I Don't Fuck with you

Wednesday, october 22nd

Dontes Pov

It's only two o'clock, I think to myself.

Today has been kinda slow and I'm ready to go home. I know Chris is waiting for me and I want to cook dinner for her. I have been planning what I'm going to cook all day.

I looked at the clock again, but it's still two o'clock. I let out a sigh of exhaustion just from thinking of how much time I had left. I don't get off until four but I'll just start cleaning up now.

Just then I see Shawn walk in the front door. Shawn is some guy that use to work here, but he hasn't come in since he got fired. He is also Christins ex boyfriend. Just seeing him made me remember the day they broke up.

She was at work, standing by the register, smiling, but she didn't look happy. And she keep rubbing her neck. I was worried about her, but this was before I had the... curiosity to talk to her. "Christin, you ok?" Kyle asked her. I leaned into the window a little so I could hear what was wrong with her. " Uh, yeah just distracted... Yesterday was a bad day." She answered. Then she rubbed her hand on the side of her neck again. She told him that her and her boyfriend broke up.

Since then I learned her boyfriend was Shawn and he had choked her that day and she had to call the cops. Chris wasn't scared of much but this guy made her feel uncomfortable. She didn't even like walking around anymore because she didn't want to bump into him.

He approach the front counter and I hear him ask the manager, Milly, if he can speak to me. Why does he want me? He has no reason to need to talk to me, so I'll just go see instead of waiting on Milly to say something.

"What's up man?" I asked. When I got to the counter.

"What you did was wrong!" Shawn said very.... purposeful and loud, but not quite yelling. Pointing his finger in my face.

"Let's take this to the back and talk about it." I said calmly.

We were standing right in the lobby and even though no one was there, it was smart to move this down the hall by the bath rooms.

Once we get back there he starts talking immediately.

"What she did was wrong, she a hoe. You gone regret it."

I can feel myself getting angry, he is Christin ex so he had to be talking about her, but I am at work so I need to remain calm. I took a deep breath. Maybe we can talk about this.

"Why, what's going on?" I asked.

He started talking but all he did was repeat the same thing over and over again. You gone regret it, don't trust her, she was wrong. I was getting tired of this, we were making no progress and I was at work.

"Yo, you need to leave man. I need to get back to work." I walked away back to the cook line without waiting on him. I had tickets waiting on me.

I saw him go back up front and say something to Milly. Then he left.

Milly turns and looks at me through the window, after he was gone and asks "What was that all about he look angry?"

"I don't know. He has some issues." I shrugged my shoulders. I was slightly mad but I blew it off. That shit was stupid. Why did he need to come in here and do all that? I went ahead and started making my tickets that had built up.

About ten minutes later I was looking out the front door and noticed this green pick up truck pull up by the front door. Shawn got out the car. I instantly got angry all over again. He bet not be coming back to talk shit again. I don't feel like dealing with him again, especially at my job!