Chapter 4: Counting Stars

Thursday, June 26th 

"Can I leave, please?"

"Hmmm, I don't know about that."

"Pleeeeeeeease?"

I was trying to convince my manager at Ihop to let me leave early because it was one o'clock and we were a ghost town, but today he was being an ass. He wanted to make me beg for it. Usually, if we are going to get busy we start getting what you call a 'club rush' around midnight. A club rush was a crowd of drunk people we got Thursday through Sunday that come to eat when the club closes.

"We can talk about this while I smoke my cigarette." Logan said fatigue.

Logan was my manager at Ihop but he had also become another friend of mine. We told each other everything about our lives. He knew all about my bad breakup, my need for freedom, and my relationship with Jordan. He understood why I needed someone like Jordan in my life and how we had manage to become make out buddies in the week we had been hanging out. I noticed I had become no better than all the other girls that I found so stupid, but he didn't judge me which made him a great friend. Amongst letting me do my homework at work, letting me hangout at his house when I didn't want to go home, and letting me sleep in my car when we were to slow, the list of things he did to support me was endless. As I followed him outside for him to have his 10th cigarette of the night, I knew I would soon get my way. He lit his cigarette and looked at me. I looked up at him with pleading eyes.

"I guess you can leave." He was trying to sound angry when he said it but he failed miserably.

"Thank you!" I grabbed him in a side hug. While still hugging him I mumbled,

"Can I take Jordan with me?"

"You are really testing my niceness"

"Yeah, but your on a roll now so I might as well try, right?"

"He can go under one condition... you stay out here with me while I finish this cigarette.." He paused while he puffed on the Newport. "And you tell me all about it tomorrow."

I pulled away from him and smiled. I know I seemed confident but I really didn't think he would let Jordan leave. Jordan wasn't the best worker and Logan wasn't always lenient.

"Thank you!" I leaned up and gave him a kiss on the cheek, then sat down on the curb to wait on him to finish. While he smoked he talked about his girlfriend. I wanted him to break up with her so bad. Logan was the nicest person I'd ever meet and she didn't deserve him. As we finished up outside I headed toward Jordan and whispered to him.

"Lets go."

I was sure to not let any servers hear me because then everyone would be begging Logan to leave. Jordan followed behind me with no questions. On my way pass the kitchen I looked at Logan and winked at him as we headed out.

"We leaving?"

"Yup." I answered with a smile.

As I went to get in my car I stopped and looked at Jordan.

"How about you drive? I don't wanna go home and you always know where to go"

We had left work a few times before and hangout after work when we would get off early. My mom didn't need to use my car until seven o'clock so I would stay out as long as I could.

"Where are we going?" I asked when I noticed we were driving past the place we usually parked.

"I want to take you to my special place. A park I go to at night to think. No ones there at night and it has a basketball court."