Chapter 6: Day 'N' Nite

Saturday, June 28th 

I took a deep breathe to clear my mind and get prepared for the day, then I turned off the car and got out. I had a lot going on in my life right now and as I walked toward the building, I knew I didn't want to be at Zoes today. When I got inside, the first person I saw was Kyle, my day was getting better all ready. I loved working with Kyle because we had built a relationship where he knew I was a good worker so he didnt over supervise me.

"Hey Ravi." I said with a smile. When I found out his last name sound alot like ravioli I started calling him Ravi.

"Hey what's up!" He also spoke with a smile. After I clocked in I peeked into the kitchen to say hello to everyone like I always do. Today was different because Donte was there and he usually works mornings. Donte was the stores kitchen manager. I wasn't sure how old he was, but he looked fairly young. He had light caramel colored smooth skin and his eyes were big and bashful. His hair was cut low and very well groomed facial hair too, beard and mustache. His eyebrows were thick on his face but it seemed to match good with the darkness of his facial hair. It gave him a mysterious look, and it didn't help that he was so quiet. He was about 5'9" and very.... very fit. He had massive arms that snuck out from under the sleeves of his work shirt. The other girls at work all thought he was cute, and while he was, I never looked at him that way.

"Hello Donte." I said so happy it seemed sarcastic. He looked at me from the corner of his eye and spoke.

"Wassup." He continued what he was doing like I wasn't there.

"How are you?" Again I spoke loud and sarcastic.

He looked up at me.

"I'm good, how are you?" his voice sound like he didn't want me talking to him, but his eyes said he was happy about it.

"Fine, thank you."

See the thing about Donte was he didn't really speak, well at least not to me. Everytime I come to work and say a generalized hello to everyone there, he won't respond. He was a very hard worker and didn't seem to play around much, however the other employees said he was really goofy. I definitely didn't see it. So one day after I spoke to everyone and got nothing from Donte I choose to single him out and speak. It seemed to be the only way to get him to respond. He knew what I was up to because he genuinely seemed like he didn't want me talking to him, so I talked to him anyway. I really didn't understand why he was so shy towards me and I was determined to change that.

When I turned back around in the window to stand at my register, Kyle was looking at me with a very interesting smirk on his face.

"What?" I asked confused.

"You must like him." He said in a way that made me unsure if it was a question or not.

"Who?" I chuckled still confused.

"Donte. You're always talking to him."

I threw my head back in laughter "Not even close. I force him to talk to me because he never speaks. He is to quiet."

He stared at me with one eyebrow raised, he looked very unconvinced.

"Mmhm. You can tell me later."

"There is nothing to tell... seriously!"

"Whatever, so did you hangout with Jordan last night?"

If I was the skin tone to blush, I would have. A grin ripped my face in half against my will.

"Yeah, we hung out."

"Ok..."

We had a moment of silence as he stared at me waiting for more.