CHAPTER FORTY THREE

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ғᴏʀᴛʏ ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ

TO SAY IT WAS freezing would be an understatement. But there Hayden walked, wrapped up in practically a hundred layer clothing, a thick scarf, a beanie over her straightened hair, and not an inch of makeup on her face. She followed Jordan, her hands numb due to the freezing air. Her cheeks were cold, the harsh cool wind blowing roughly onto them. Hayden shakily exhaled and grabbed Jordan's hand, Jordan giving her a light squeeze. "I know you're freezing so thank you for coming out with me when you could be at home wrapped in your Charlie Brown blanket." Jordan said with a chuckle.

Hayden shook her head and didn't even bother to think about the warmth she could be getting right now if she had just stayed home, but she wanted to be a supportive girlfriend and so she followed Jordan out to the mountains so he capture the beauty of it all. Hayden nodded and took her hand out of Jordan's grip, blowing hot air into them. Jordan laughed at his girlfriend as they finally got to the top of the mountain. He asked her for the camera and she took it out, shakily handing it to him. "Thank you, my love." Hayden only hummed in response.

Jordan snapped a couple of shots of the view before he turned to Hayden and handed her the camera. He placed his gloved on either side of her face and he smiled. That smile, Hayden thought as she smiled back — his smile was contagious. All his dimples appeared and Hayden chuckled and shook her head. "What's got you so happy, you dork?" Hayden asked with a slight raise of her brows.

Jordan shrugged and glanced off to the view for a moment before he looked back at his girlfriend of almost nine months. "What? I can't just look at the most beautiful woman in the world?" Jordan asked. Hayden raised a single brow.

"Last time you looked at me like that was when we were in Florida so you could meet my parents for the first time." Hayden said. Jordan's jaw dropped. "Don't think I didn't catch you. You're not slick, Connor."

"Did you catch me realizing I was in love with you?" Jordan asked, his hot breath fanning Hayden's face as he rested his forehead on hers. Hayden scrunched her nose and made him laugh. He pulled her face closer to his and laid his lips upon hers, feeling her smile into the kiss whilst he did as well. When they pulled away, Jordan felt butterflies kick in his stomach as her eyes slowly fluttered open, small snowflakes making their way onto her long eyelashes as it began to snow. "I am so in love with you. And no one will ever understand that."

     Jordan took Hayden's hand, his thumb caressing her knuckles ever so softly. Hayden wondered why he was being so lovey-dovey and affectionate, it was usually her who was those things. "Hayden, our love. . . it's something that I am forever thankful and grateful for. You've helped me out of a dark place in my life and you'd held me when I couldn't fall asleep and you listen to my random stories that I never get to finish because the looks on your face are always priceless and I end up laughing way too hard. You have held my hand when I was scared at the movie theaters and you've kissed me when I needed you the most — always - you've always been there for me. Even when we were only best friends, you made sure that I was always happy, always okay, always had a smile on my face." Hayden could feel tears well up in her eyes. "Baby, please don't cry."

     Jordan let go of Hayden's hand and went down onto one knee. Hayden let out a soft sob. He isn't proposing, he couldn't be. Jordan pulled out a box from his pocket and looked up at Hayden. He opened it up to reveal a ring with the most beautiful diamonds on two connected bands. Jordan lightly shook his head as he laughed. "Don't freak out, it's not an engagement ring. At least not yet. But, it is a promise ring. I promise to always take care of you through your rough times. I promise to never leave your side. I promise to hold your hair back when you've drank a little too much and I promise to take off your makeup when you blackout like an alcoholic. I promise to keep a smile on that gorgeous, doll face of yours. I promise to work out every single issue and argument that we have because trust me, I could not bare to lose you. I promise you — I promise, promise, promise — to always love you." Hayden wiped her tears away with her shaking hands as Jordan stood back up and wiped the snow off of his covered knee. He took Hayden's hand and placed the ring on her middle finger of her right hand.