Chapter21-

The doors of the scan room fly open, bouncing against the wall behind. Matty pulls away from me so fast I'm surprised he hasn't done himself whiplash.

"oh my god, there you are. The nurse phoned me and i.. She said you'd-" she stops when she notices I'm not alone, and just who's sat there next to me. Both of us looking guilty and nervous. She obviously didn't see anything. But i can't help but feel I've just been caught in the act.

"hey, Em" i giggle at her panicked state. She's so over the top. I could tell her I'd broken a nail and she'd probably be more upset than me. She's hilarious sometimes.

"hi" she replies. Suddenly happier. But her eyes never fall on me. Oh yeah, and I'm the smitten one. A nervous giggle falls from Matty's mouth as Em continues to smile away at him "you alright?" he asks her with a clear nervous laugh.

She must then realise, as her eyes immediately drop to the floor, but she still has a smile spread across that face of hers "me?" she plays dumb. Matty just nods, trying to hold his laughter in now "fabulous!" she grins at me now. Giving me a look as though she's proud. As though I've done well at something.

"here we are" the midwife walks back in, scan pictures in hand. Not noticing our disruption that is my annoying best friend "hello? Can i help you?" she asks Em when she notices her sat at the side of me on the bed "er, nope" she grins "when is Ellise allowed out, it's just we have a shopping date. An you know how it is. Gotta get there early for those good sales" she tells the midwife. Making me giggle. She can bloody talk to anyone about anything. The midwife just looks at her confused then shakes her head, looking down at the photos "right. All done. I've booked you in for your twenty week scan. So just nip to reception on your way out to find out the details and... Then you're done" she looks up, smiling at both me and Matty.

"do we know the gender yet?" Emma quizzes the midwife "er, no miss. Too early" she answers, putting everything away in the room while Matty helps me out of bed "I'll see you Ina few weeks" the midwife says a quick goodbye to us before heading for the door. But not before Em bombards her with more questions, following her out of the room as she keeps asking and nagging "but do you think its a girl? Has more girls or boys been born this year?" Matt watches her following the midwife out "she's mental!' i tell him. He laughs.

"Jesus!" Matty sniggers "handful or what?" he laughs again shaking his head. I laugh too "you get used to it" i shrug "she's always been keen for information" he nods along.

"so..." she walks back in, clapping her hands like she has big news "baby shopping time" she practically sings in excitement. Grinning at us both "it's too early for that" i shoot her excitement down "yeah an, not today. Got some... Stuff to sort out at home" he says awkwardly. I still don't even know what he's doing. If he's going, staying. With her now. I don't even know what the hell that kiss was! "okay" i mumble, keeping my head down "I'll er, I'll call round later... For a chat?" he looks at Emma, awkwardly. An i know he's meaning he wants to talk in private. I just nod. She'll probably be at Luke's anyway.

"awww! This. This is adorable" she stands looking at yet another little dress "why is it all girls clothing you're going all gooey over? You're forgetting it could be a boy" i laugh "hmm" she says like she's not listening to a word I'm saying as she still stands, gorping at all the pink clothes in admiration. She turns to me when she's done "what you wanting?" she walks back over to me linking her arm through mine as we walk out of the store. I shrug "i really don't mind. As long as its healthy" i smile at her "everyone says that" she complains "you must be preferring one over the other" i laugh "nope. I honestly don't mind" she grins at me, as though she wants to say something but has decided against it. Which isn't like her "what?" i ask her, keen to know. She smiles again "i want a god daughter" she squeezes my arm "god daughter?" i laugh "wasn't aware i was christening my unborn child. Or picking you" i tease her "well. You will. We'll see won't we" she threats with a wink.

"ooh, lets go in this one. Look at this pram!" she runs over to it, overly excited for the hundredth time since we started shopping only half hour ago "I'm gonna go get a drink" i shout to her, pointing behind me. She turns back to me nodding "okay, I'll be on the floor upstairs with the seats" "okay" she calls back.

I stand in the long queue. Jesus, all this for a bottle of water. My feet are killing me and I'm beginning to feel tired again. I get onto my tip toes, seeing how long the queue is now. I'm like twentieth now. I sigh before taking the bottle back to the fridge. I'm not waiting around. I turn quickly, to head back out but I'm stopped "hey! Ellise, right?" a female voice speaks up, gently grabbing my arm to stop me walking off. I look up, and panic hits me straight away. I nod, trying to make out this isn't a big deal. That nothings gonna go wrong here. Even though i know she knows everything now "Gemma" i whisper. My voice breaking and failing me again "lets chat" she pulls me by my arm, heading for a table.