Chapter 37: A Fate Worse than Death (Lena)

"Arise my child!" Sienna cackled as the beast rose from the cauldron. 

"Beast... attack!" Sienna ordered, pointing to the four of us.

The next moment is a blur as I feel the beasts giant paw knock me, and the others, onto the floor.  

I watch as Adara escaped the ropes and runs over to free Dylan. Once Adara frees Dylan, the beasts swoops up Kate and runs out of the building with Damian and Sienna behind it.

"We have to help Kate!" Dylan shares, as Adara is untying my ropes.

We quickly regain our bearings and run outside. Tied to the flagpole was Kate, below her was a raging fire.

Her screams echoed throughout the school. We couldn't save her. She was getting burnt alive. This girl that I had barely said any words too was dying right in front of me and there wasn't anything I could do about it. I fall to the floor and vomit. The idea of watching everyone I know die is a fate worse than death.

"Come on Lena, we have to go. The beast has headed into the middle sector!" Dylan explained.

"O-Our families?" I say, quickly standing up. "We have to save them"

The three of us walk into the middle sector. We hadn't contacted our families in months, who knew what was left of the middle sector. If it was anything like this sector, then it's just going to get worse.

~~~~

As we arrive in the middle sector, predominately the city of Zanu, we were faced with the government house on fire.

"Sienna and Damian are sick people!" Adara spits.

"We should check out Lena's family" Dylan shares.

"Oh-Okay" I mutter. Truthfully, I was scared that my family wouldn't be alive. But I guess I would have to find out sooner or later.

Just as we begin moving down the street, a bunch of Zombies ambush us, and the three of us are separated. I run into a nearby church. I should be safe here.

"Marlene?" It was the voice of Karol, Sam's mother.

"Oh, Karen!" I give Karol a hug and begin sobbing.

"What is it?" She asks, worried.

"Sam...Sam's dead" I say, wiping the tears from my eyes.

Through my own hazed eyes, I could see that Karol was completely emotionless.

"Karol? Are you okay?" The Reverend Robert asked. I hadn't met the Reverend before, but I knew he was Brooke's father.

"Reverend... only three of us made it out of the school alive... Me, Dylan Dunkle... and Adara Wilks..." I stutter.

"It's okay" Robert sighs, holding back tears. "I had a feeling"

Karol begins making her way to the front of the church.

"Karol, where are you going?" Robert asked.

"I-I have to go home..." She sobs.

"It's not safe out there" I plead.

Karol doesn't listen and runs out the door.