Chapter fifteen

• Dedicated to Kevin David Long

I have dedicated this chapter to my dad who has a very mild form of cancer and now knows the down side to cemo. 

I love you dad. You're a champ! ox

I hope you enjoy :)

......................................................................................................................

Chapter fifteen.

“No,” Rose laughs. “Blackadder is the one with Mr Bean in it.” Jet is sitting at Rose’s desk as she searches for the dress she got for her birthday. Even just this simple action was making her tired and out of breath.

Jet couldn’t help himself, he started looking through her things curiously and innocently. He opened the first draw. Pens, pencils and small tube paints rolled around inside. The second draw held books and crumpled sheets of paper.

“Oh, then what am I thinking off?” Jet wondered allowed.

“I don’t know.” Rose couldn’t find the dress. So she turned to her draws and searched through them.

“I’m thinking of the Faulty Towers.” Jet exclaimed and they laughed. The third draw contained a folder but what caught Jet’s eye was a letter.

A letter from the hospital.

Jet froze when he read it. “How on earth can you get the two mixed up?” Rose said lightly. She smiled when she found the dress. “One is set in the med…” Rose trailed off when she walked out to see Jet with the letter in his hand. “What are you doing going through my things?” Rose frowns at Jet and hurries to snatched the letter from his grasp.

“Don’t, ok. Just don’t.” Jet yelled. How could she be so stupid? Jet wondered. How could she ignore this?

There were footsteps in the hall.

Marcus.

“You don’t know what you’re doing.” Rose hissed before Marcus entered the room.

“Is everything ok? I heard yelling.” Marcus regarded Jet’s ridged stance.

“Nothing dad. Jet doesn’t believe me that Mr bean is in Blackadder not Faulty Towers.” Rose brushed it off, not taking her blue eyes from Jet’s green ones.

“Are you seriously going to keep lying.” Jet tried to keep his voice steady but it still shook with anger and betrayal.

“Hey, look, don’t you talk to my daughter…” Jet stepped forward and took the letter from Rose in one swift move.

“No!” Rose cried as Jet held it out to her dad. Jet took hold of Rose’s waist when she tried to get it back.

Marcus frowned at Jet then Rose but took the paper. “It’s nothing.” Rose cried.

“What…what is this?” Marcus looked confused.

“Nothing.”

“Read it. It’s...over due.” He gave Rose a warning look. Rose glared back as her dad read the letter.

“The hospital has been calling?” Marcus’s voice was strained with anger and sadness. Rose sighed then nodded. “Rosemarie Ann Harvey,” Marcus boomed. Rose flinched. “How dare you keep this from us. The doctors say it’s time for you to move to the hospital and you KEEP it from us.” Marcus was red with anger.

Even though he was disappointed with Rose, Jet’s defensive instincts kicked in and he moved in front of Rose. Jet had seen this look before and while he knew that Marcus wouldn’t hit his daughter he had flashbacks from when he was younger.