Chapter two

~Edited chapter~

...........

Walking through the halls of the school was painful for Rose. People looked at her, both with curiosity and a look akin to one you’d find on most peoples faces at a zoo. She bit her tongue and blocked them out. She had gotten used to it by then. Rose had found that it was most painful of all when she passed her former best friend.

Alisha glared at Rose with such intensity that a lump formed in her throat. Out of all the people that Rose has pushed away she was coldest to Alisha. Rose knew Alisha wouldn’t have given up easily so she purposely picked a fight with her. Long story short, Alisha hadn’t spoken to Rose since.

Time seemed to slow down as Alisha past Rose. Her almond shaped, moss green eyes pierced Rose’s, and her usually curly red hair had been straightened, Rose knew for a fact that it would have taken hours to straighten, because once in tenth grade she straightened it for the dance. Rose’s straightener started to fizzle and it never worked since. There are countless memories I will never forget that Alisha and I shared. Those kinds of memories make me wish I could be forever young. Ironically I will be forever young, I will never grow old and have to worry about loosing my mind…or my teeth. Rose thought then looked away from Alisha’s beautiful eyes and continued walking to her locker. She swallowed back the tears that always came when she saw her former best friend and reminded herself that it was her choice. The first warning bell sounded for class as she neared her locker. There was a whole wall of unsightly green lockers and Rose’s was in the dead centre of them all. Once Rose reached her locker she took out the things she needed for her first and second classes then stuffed her bag into the locker. She closed her the thin, metal door and stepped back. Rose went to turn around but she was knocked over by a guy in his gym clothes, running to the oval with his friends. He hardly noticed Rose and kept running. One of his friends called out an apology over his shoulder. They hadn’t known it was Rose whom they knocked over otherwise they would have helped her up. She hit the ground landing on her left side. Rose let out a small squeal and bit back tears as pain ripped through her left arm.

“Ouch.” she groaned, her voice shaky. Rose tried to steady her breathing, not wanting to cry at school. Her art pad and pencils where scattered on the floor around her from when they fell from her grasp. Rose moved her pitiful thoughts to the back of her mind and rubbed her elbow. There was no one around, so Rose took her time to compose herself before getting up from the concrete with large black dots all over it. Yes, those dots were very old gum.

“Are you all right there?” Rose gasped and looked up to see an unfamiliar black haired, green-eyed guy through blurry eyes.

Jet looked down at the girl, he noticed that she was in pain but he couldn’t see where she had been hurt. She frowned at him as though he had spoken another language. She couldn’t remember a time when a student had spoken to her at school. In fact over the holidays the only people she had spoken to were he family and Rod at the bookshop. “Do you need a hand?” Jet asked her a different question. Rose shook her head as Jet knelt down and started to pick up her pencils. Rose was so caught up in this boy that she forgot to breathe. Why is he being so nice? She wondered but couldn’t figure it out. She was a complete stranger to him. Even in a small town people weren’t always nice. Jet was new in town and he hadn’t heard about Rose, in fact he had no idea who this beautiful girl in front of him was. He hadn’t had time to meet anyone in the small town in the short time he had been here. To be honest he was actually a little nervous about starting at a new school.

“Uh, thanks.” She said coming out of her muted state and reached for he art pad. Rose told herself to be polite to this guy. He was new and was clearly just trying to help. It wouldn’t kill her to make him feel a little welcomed. Jet handed Rose her pencil case with her pencils in it. She gave him a small smile and took it from him. Jet smiled back and offered his hand to Rose. As much as Jet tried the situation kept getting more and more awkward, he could tell Rose didn’t really want to talk to him.