Chapter eight

~Edited chapter~

.......... 

Saturday afternoon came around and Jet found himself jogging onto the school oval with the rest of his teammates. His adrenaline was running high and he couldn’t wipe the smile off his face. Mostly it had to do with his date with Rose, but he didn’t tell anyone that. Georgia forced details out of him about the date, he told her only little bits about the date. She was probably more excited about the date then Jet.

Rose sat in the crowed next to Jet’s mum and step dad, Anna and Peter. It was the first time she had met them and Anna took a liking to her immediately. Peter thought she was the nicest out of the girls Jet had hung out with. Anna was over the moon because of Jet making it into the team and because she was thrilled that Jet was friends with a girl like Rose. He hadn’t told them they were dating but he thought they would figure it out once they got talking with Rose. When Jet saw Rose in the crowd he was struck by her beauty. She wasn’t wearing make-up but her smile radiated and warmed his heart.

“Get pumped Jet, these guys suck but we are aiming to get at least twenty points.” Tom called snapping Jet out of his daze. From the stands Georgina called out his name and jumped around to get his attention. Tom chuckled and waved to her.

“So, that’s your girl?” Jet asked. He had an idea that they were dating but no one had confirmed it.

Tom nodded and turned to Jet. “Yeah. For a few years now.” Tom smiled and Alex joined them.

“Stop chatting you girls, we have a game to play.” Alex hit Jet over the head and Jet chased after him trying to get him back. Coach spotted them and turned red with anger. He marched over and grabbed Alex, who was just about to kick Jet, by the shirt.

“What the hell are you two doing?” Coach hissed. The two guys smiles dropped.

“Making the other team think we are idiots.” Jet offered.

Alex nodded and Coach let him go. “They won’t know what hit them, Coach.” Alex added. Coach looked from Alex to Jet then pulled a face.

“Cut it out. You’re starting to look like retards.” Coach said then walked off to the sideline. Jet and Alex laughed and doubled over, holding onto each other’s shoulder.

“Nice prep talk.” Alex mutters.

Both teams got into their positions. Jet was told to be a left wing. He had only played once but he had the hang of it. Coach had Alex back in defence because of his size along with other teammates that were quite solid. Tom was up front and usually got the ball passed to him.

Halfway though the game ‘half time’ was called and the teams come off the field sweaty and in need of refreshment.

“Ok, we are up by seven. They are on six,” Coach announced to the team while they stood around drinking water and eating orange slices. The boys all nodded and smiled, pleased with themselves. “I want you to do better,” the guys looked confused. “We have had two training lessons this week and we have a new player. Jet I’m moving you to a ford. Jack, you take Jet’s place as left wing.” Coach ordered and let the guys rehydrate.

Jet turned to Tom after taking a long swing of his Powerade. “Is he always like this?” Jet asked Tom.

Tom chuckled and nodded. “Yeah, man. Though he’s happy you’re on the team. I think he thinks we can win a few more games with you on the team.” Tom told Jet then spotted Georgina walking towards them. He pated him on the back and went to say ‘hi’ before the second half. Jet watched until they kissed then he found Rose and his mum and Peter in the stands. Anna smiled and clapped and Rose winked at him. Jet laughed and wanted nothing more than to kiss Rose, but he thought it would be weird seeing as though his mum was there.