Chapter twelve

Chapter twelve.

Over the next week Jet and Rose did a number of things together. Rose suggested they have a picnic in the park, watch a foreign movie with no subtitles and go shopping in a baby supplies shop and pretend to be expecting a baby. Jet’s football team won their game, Coach wasn’t impressed though because they missed two conversions and lost the ball more than once. Rose convinced Jet to see the rerun of My Girl at the cinemas. Rose cried and Jet pretended he didn’t like the movie.

He takes her and as they walk into the cinemas. After getting their tickets they stood in the sweets section. Rose sighed and rests her head on Jet’s shoulder.

“There are too many choices.” Rose sighed. Jet looks down at Rose and smiles. How did I end up with a girl as sweet and down to earth as Rose? He asked himself. Jet leads Rose up to the counter and asks for popcorn and a packet of chocolate. In the cinema he shows Rose how to make the perfect movie treat. He pours the chocolate into the popcorn and Rose makes a face.

“Where did you get that idea from?” she asks but takes a small handful of the concoction.

“I went to a movie with a group of friends and one of them did this. It taste pretty good. Sweet and salty."

They lay on Rose’s bed in a peaceful lull of silence. It was a Wednesday and they only had half a day at school. Rose’s parents were at work so they had the house to themselves. Rose had made Jet take his top off. He didn’t hesitate. Rose loved Jet’s body. She wished that she could paint or sketch really well so he would be etched forever on a piece of paper forever never aging, never changing.

Jet half sung, half hummed along to his favourite song.

“…You should let me love you. Let me be the one to…” then resumed humming. Rose didn’t mind Jet’s voice; she was beginning to love it. She was surprised at how smooth his voice was. Rose just lay there and listened to him sing. She didn’t much like R&B music but Jet had her hooked. She loved the smoothness of the beat and the vocals.

“Ok, so what’s next on your list of things?” Jet asked Rose. She frowned at Jet in confusion. She didn’t know that he knew about her list.

“Sorry?” Rose said carelessly and played with her hair.

“All these things we have been doing,” Jet chuckled deep in his chest. “You have a list, don’t you?” Jet smiled down at Rose. She returned his gaze and tried not to smile.

“Maybe.” She murmured, this made Jet laugh. He bent down and kissed Rose on the lips. Lingering longer than he had planned. Rose moaned softly.

“What’s next on the list?” Jet asked again. Rose smiled a devious smile.

****

Rose stared up at Jet and bit her lip while he looked out at the fog-covered lake. It was the middle of winter and Rose was turning purple. Jet shifted his gaze to Rose and looked at her worryingly.

“Love, you sure you want to do this?” worry lines creased his forehead. Rose slipped out of her shoes, and then let her dress fall off her thinning body and lightly pool at her feet. Rose’s heart was beating fast with anticipation, Jet had never seen this much of her skin before, but she didn’t break eye contact. She stood in front of Jet, daring him to look away from her eyes. Jet clenched his jaw trying not to grovel at Rose’s body. She may be getting thin but before the cancer started to take over her body she used to have a stunning figure. Rose bit her lip and stepped closer to Jet. His eyes flickered to Rose’s body, scanning every inch. A smile curved Jet’s lips and Rose’s heart raced. “Beautiful.” Jet murmured. Rose giggled and walked towards the lake. She reached the waters edge and stopped.