Chapter three

~Edited chapter~  

 ...........

Jet arrived home after his first day at his new school. His mum worked late at a restaurant just out of town and his step dad co-owned a business in the city. Back at their old town Jet’s step dad worked in the mines and they moved here when running a business from Brisbane became too hard. So Jet was alone for three hours every day after school.

Jet boosted himself out of his orange, 1972 valiant charger and headed up to his one story house. His house back in Brisbane was much nicer but he couldn’t really complain, Jet didn’t care about the state of the house he lived in anymore. The house was built with brick but it had been renovated and bagged. The inside was pretty plain and Jet’s room didn’t brighten the place one bit. His walls were a dark blue and his bed cover was black. Jet had his curtains drawn most of the time adding to the darkness and usually his computer was the only light in his room. Jet didn’t spend much time in the living room or kitchen; most of his time was spent in his room or out in the backyard were the small lap pool and his weight set was. It was too cold at the moment but when it got hotter he would probably be in the pool every second day. Since they moved in six weeks ago he had only been in four times. It was starting to get colder, something Jet wasn’t used to while living in Brisbane, where most of the time it was hot enough that pools were a must have in most homes. Jet couldn’t remember the last time he wore a jumper, and his mum had to go out and buy him warmer clothes. Jet had worn his new black hoody over his school uniform that day. Jet hated the uniform with a passion; he had never worn white in his life.

Inside Jet closed the front door, headed up to his room and turned on his music. Green Day played through the speakers of his old radio. It wasn’t too loud because there was an elderly couple living next door, and while he had the bad boy image down to a T he was inconsiderate. Jet checked his phone out of habit; three messages two from his mum and one from Luke. Jet had decided he liked Luke and the other guys enough to give them his number. Most of the girls exchanged numbers with him as well. His friends back home weren’t likely to keep in touch, not that Jet really cared all that much, they were all probably to high to notice his absence. Over all, his new friends seemed like a nice bunch of people, “small town” but nice. His friends back in Brisbane only cared about status. From the outside Jet looked like a picture perfect bad boy with his slightly crooked nose from one of the times he got into a fight and his mysterious air but on the inside, rage issues aside, he wasn’t a bad guy. He had an image to up hold plus he liked being the ‘bad boy’ type, usually it kept people away. Then again it attracted tossers that thought they could pick a fight and get away unharmed. Boy, were they wrong. Jet had a violent past and didn’t have the patients for “pretty boys” with small brains. There wasn’t one fight that Jet had willingly gotten into where he was worse off than the other person, or in some cases the other two people. Most of his mum’s ex boyfriends were pretty abusive. Most nights Jet would fall asleep to the sound his mum and one of her boyfriends screaming at each other. When things started to get physical Jet would come into it and mouth off in his mums defence. He would get backhanded and be told to ‘f**k off’.

When he got older he bulked up. Between his size and his rage black outs he could take on anyone that threatened to hit his mum. His black outs happened a lot when his mum was being attacked, like an unconscious reaction. Jet wished that he had had a better up bringing, but sometimes you just have to take what you get. Jet believed that dwelling on those kinds of things drove you crazy. That’s how it was in his family until Peter, his step dad, came in to their lives. To Jet’s knowledge he had never once raised his voice towards his mum. Jet was glad that his mum was happy but with the new addition to the family came with new, uptight schools. Jet’s appearance allowed him to fit in but his attitude and rage usually had people walking on thin ice around him and in some cases being denied from schools. This didn’t seem to matter with  Rose and his new friends, sure they didn’t know about him but most people could tell he was bad news as though it was writing in plain English on his forehead. Beware. His new friends didn’t seem to care, they were happy to let Jet in and befriend him.