Chapter one

~Edited chapter~

Please comment so I know what you guys think! :D

Enjoy!

 Copyright 2014 by Brittany Long.

.........................

Dear Diary,

I’m not afraid of death; I have come to terms with it. Death is a part of life, and it is not to be feared. In my position I can’t really be afraid, because my life will end in a matter of months or so the doctors say. As you know three years ago I was diagnosed with cancer, Osteosarcoma to be exact. I was treated for it and it went away but the end of last year the doctors found that the cancer had reappeared in my lungs. At first my parents thought I had a bad cough but when I started to cough up blood they got worried and took me to the hospital. I couldn’t believe my luck. I went through hell with treatment the first time.

I hated it!

I was weak, I lost my hair, I was sick all the time and I was left with very little nerves around my elbow, its still pretty stiff at times. The only good thing that came out of it was that it’s my left elbow so I can’t write an extensive amount of notes. One of the bad things…my classmates only see me as a porcelain doll. Like if they looked at me the wrong way I would break.

I figure that if God wanted me to survive he wouldn’t have let me get cancer a second time.

When my time comes… I will greet death like an old friend and join him willingly. Knowing that all my pain will be taken away from me…all my suffering.

I know my family will miss me but they know that I love them with all my heart. 

Rose woke up feeling stiff. She stretched out her muscles and swung her legs out of bed. She lay still for a few moments breathing deeply. Her lungs, lined with mucus, stretched lowly as air filled them. She thought it was a good feeling until she started coughing hysterically. Rose sat up in a flash and swiftly grabbed a few tissues from her bedside table as her body shook with each cough. A dull pain filled her chest before she spat up a mouthful of mucus into the tissues. Rose pulled a face before coughing up two more mouthfuls. No one said having cancer was glamorous. Rose felt sick; throwing up felt like a possibility for her. She sat still and took breaths that only filled half of her lungs for a few moments.

Finally feeling better she walked over to her mirror and checked herself out, something she only did every so often. She had lost a bit of weight but still looked relatively healthy. Rose lifted her singlet top and found nothing out of the usual, for her. Her hipbones stuck out and her ribs were visible, but they had been like that since the second round of cancer. Rose sighed; she had never liked the super-model-thin look. Guys loved her curves and at the time Rose bathed in their affections. She never thought of herself as the most beautiful girl but she wasn’t stupid, she knew that she was pretty enough for guys to show interest in her.

Rose did a few quick morning stretches. Her joints felt stiff, though only because she hadn’t done her morning run in months and months. Running was a pleasure of hers but she had become weak, even walking into town left her breathless.

Rose swiftly showered before getting changed into her school uniform. Fern Grove Highs’ school colours are candy red and off white. So naturally the students all looked like Christmas candy canes. At least there weren’t any stripes in the design. The designers obviously had to of have had at least a small amount of sight? Fashion sense?...humanity? Very few students didn’t complain about the uniform and even less liked it. At least the dresses were fully red, and for anyone that suited red that was a plus. Rose, with her blonde hair and fair skin, looked stunning in red. Though her once fitted dress now had no curves to cling to, it made her look thinner than she was and Rose was aware of it.