26- Getting to Grace

Ethan begged the cop to let him go, letting him know it was an emergency. He explained the phone call he had gotten, and that it was the reason why he was speeding "Please let me go so I can get to her as soon as possible." Ethan begged again.

"Go sit in your car, and let me run your information." The cop demanded, still looking at him with a strange look. The cop didn't like he was being smarted off to from the start, but thought if what he was saying was true, he could understand the frustrations of why he was pulled over. He ran his license, and when it came back clean, he called in to see if there were any medical emergencies recently called in, with a woman named, Grace Hart.

Ethan patiently, yet disturbingly sat in his car waiting for the officer to come back with a ticket, for which he figured he would go into the courts, and fight Come on... what the fuck is taking so long? he groaned, looking into the rearview mirror. He then saw the officer get out of his vehicle, and walk up towards his car, and felt relieved finally, he muttered.

"Here's the deal, sign this, and from now on, obey all traffic laws." he says, handing him a clipboard, wanting him to sign the citation. Ethan groaned thinking that he had gotten a ticket. "This is your lucky night, I'm going to issue you this warning, but I ask you not drive like that again, you could have gotten yourself, or someone else injured, or worse, killed. It's not worth driving like that. What you're signing here is a warning ticket. Now, I called in, and was told that the woman you named, is at the hospital down the road, she was brought in about five minutes ago. I'd like for you to follow me... I'll escort you, and will get you there safe."

Ethan looked at the officer in shock, he was surprised he wasn't given a ticket, and was surprised for the first time in his life, that an officer decided to help him out. He smiled "Thank you, thank you very much."

Ethan followed the officer to the hospital, ecstatic he was able to speed, and to not have to worry about getting into any trouble. He was thrilled to be able to park near the doors, and got out of his car thanking the officer, again. He sprinted into the emergency room, and over to the nurses sitting behind the counter. "Hi I'm looking for Grace Hart, where can I find her." he asked worried.

"Are you a friend, or family member?" she asked. Ethan gave her a funny look, shaking his head wondering what kind of question that was "What does it matter if I'm a friend, or a family member? I'm here because the love of my life was just brought in, and I'd like to know where I can find her. SO, I guess you would say that I'm family." he retorted, upset to be asked a question like that. All he knew was, he just wanted to be with her, and to find out what the hell happened.

She widened her eyes, not wanting him to raise his voice again, looked at the computer in front of her, and typed in her name. "Just a minute." the nurse said to him, while she looked to see where they placed her. "She was just brought in; I'll take you back to the room she's in."

Ethan followed the nurse in a panic, his heart was racing, he was sweating, and worried about what was going on with her. He started thinking about how she had been sick, and was curious to if this was the reason for her being here, hoping it was nothing serious.

The nurse opened the curtain, waving for him to walk into the room. "The doctor should be here soon; it looks like he hasn't been in yet." Ethan walked over to Grace, and held onto her hand, he saw how pale she was, and felt his heart drop into his stomach when he saw blood in her hair, near her forehead. He noticed someone tried cleaning up the blood, and licked his finger, to clean the rest of the blood off her forehead, and leaned down kissing her where the blood was "I'm here Hun." he said quietly. He wanted to know what happened to her, but didn't want to wake her.

He took a deep breath, lowered his head, and sighed hard. He couldn't believe she was in the emergency room, and knew he should have brought her in the other night. He looked to his side, saw a chair, and walked over to it, pushing it next to the bed, and held onto her hand, while resting his forehead on top of her hand "What in the hell happened Grace?" he asked her softly. He then heard the curtain open, and lifted his head, looking over at the doctor. "Hello." The doctor said, looking at the paperwork he was given.