Eighteen

It's the last day of summer. Harry is stuck working until close and when he wakes up tomorrow he's back to school. He's a senior. He's going into his last year and it's so much more real now.

No one is in the restaurant so he lazily cleans tables and puts the chairs up. Marie isn't even in so he has no one to talk to. He kind of wishes he could text on the job because he wants to talk to Liam and Louis. He pouts as he cleans the last table and then walks back behind the counter. He cleans the area behind him and hums stupid songs to himself. This is how he started his summer and it's how he's going to finish it.

Finally midnight comes and he runs off to the back. He changes his clothes and signs himself out. He walks back to the front, swinging his car keys when he sees him.

Louis is sitting on the counter swinging his feet and Harry gets déjà vu. It's like the first night and he smiles and moves to the employee door.

"And you're here because...?" Harry asks. Louis looks over at him and grins happily. He jumps off the counter and walks over to him.

"I need a drive home," Louis states obviously. Harry just rolls his eyes and grabs Louis' hand, bringing him to the door. Harry lets himself out and he prays his manager remembers to lock up.

They both get in the car and Louis slides in. Harry does the same and when he starts the car Louis turns it to the music he likes. It's so much like the first night, but so different.

"So, Harry," Louis starts. Harry looks over at him as he pulls out of the now empty parking lot.

"So, Louis," Harry mocks him. Louis smiles wide at him, amusement written all over his face.

"Shut up. Anyways, we're not going to my house," Louis tells him. Harry looks over at him and Louis just points to the left. Harry turns and Louis nods.

"Remember how when we first met you agreed to just kill time with me all Summer? Well, summer isn't over yet and we have one final place to visit," Louis explains.

"I didn't agree to all summer, if I remember correctly," Harry points out.

"Well, too bad. Okay, turn left again," Louis instructs. Harry does and he really wants to know where they're going.

"So, I have one last special place to show you," Louis tells him. Harry nods and continues to drive. Louis gives him instructions until they come to a beach. It's a small beach and Harry's been here before. He doesn't come often because it's not that popular and it's far away.

"The beach?" he asks. Louis just nods and gets out of the car. Harry stumbles out after him and follows him to the sandy edge. Louis takes off his shoes and holds them as he steps onto the beach.

"I come here when I need to think," Louis tells him. Harry's slipped off his shoes too and he's now walking beside Louis. His toes dig under the sand and he listens as the waves hit the shore.

"The beach is a good place to think. That's probably why it's used in movies and books, because it's beautiful and just calm. You feel at peace when you're at a beach," Louis continues to talk.

"That's true," Harry says. His side brushes Louis' and his feet walk along the shoreline. It's nice being here and the moon is a small sliver in the sky.

"Yeah. I brought you here because well it's pretty - like you - and I feel safe here and I just wanted to show you my safe place. I came here quite a bit this summer actually and just thought about a lot of things I guess," Louis tells him. Louis' voice is a soft whisper even though they're the only ones there. Between his voice and the ocean meeting the shore Harry is transfixed.