Ten

Harry really hated family lunches. It was always awkward and so many questions got asked. He felt like his brain was being squeezed by invisible hands and his lungs were running out of air.

"Harry! Everyone's here!" his mom shouts up the stairs. Harry finishes buttoning his shirt and fixes his hair with shaky fingers. He's not ready for this. Not even a little.

"Coming!" he calls down. He double checks himself in the mirror again before he leaves the comfort of his room. He can hear them all talking downstairs and he swallows before he hops down the steps. He enters his warm main room to be greeted by his aunt, uncle and grandparents.

"Harry, how are you?" his aunt smiles. He gives her a weak one back and moves to sit next to his mom on the couch.

"I'm good. How are you?" he asks politely. He really doesn't like these events - mostly because his aunt and uncle make him uncomfortable. Their children are all older and moved out, but they have perfect lives. They expect the same from Anne's children, but Harry feels like he messed up the image.

"I'm great, honey. Still working at McDonalds?" she asks. Her tone is sickeningly sweet and her smile plastered on. She was upset that Harry got a job there.

"Yes he is. He makes a good amount of money too," Anne pipes up, defending her son. She knows how he feels about these days, but she can't not invite her sister.

"When's lunch?" Harry's grandfather changes subjects. Harry lets out a tiny breath and smiles thankfully at him.

"Soon. We should all go to the table," Anne tells them. Everyone stands up and walks into the dining room. Everyone takes their seats and the seat across from Harry is empty. Gemma is supposed to sit there and he really wishes she was here.

"So, Harry, any girlfriends?" his uncle smirks. Harry looks down at his lap because his uncle knows he's gay. He knows damn well Harry doesn't have a girlfriend.

"Nope," Harry tells him quietly.

"Your mom told me you have a date on Saturday?" His grandmother smiles, "Louis I think she said?"

Harry looks up and a smile is on his face the second Louis' name is spoken. He nods at his grandmother and he's so thankful she's understanding.

"Yeah. He goes to my school and we started talking recently," Harry smiles.

"He's a looker," Robin jokes and Harry's cheeks turn pink, but he nods.

"Louis? You're still in that phase?" his uncle asks. The whole table looks at him and Anne sets down the club sandwiches in disapproval.

"I wouldn't call it a phase," Harry tells him. His uncle has always been closed minded and Harry hates it. He hates these lunches and he hates acting proper.

"Anne, you really need to talk with him," his uncle addresses her, ignoring Harry.

"I talk to him plenty. He's happy, therefore I'm happy. Please just eat your food," Anne says, her tone harsh. She loves her sister, but she married an asshole.

They all eat in silence and Harry'a parents and grandparents keep sending him warm, sympathetic smiles.

"So, have you decided what you want to do after high school?" his aunt speaks again. Harry feels his stomach turn and he shakes his head.

"Not yet. I'm just living in the moment," Harry tells her. She rolls her eyes and turns to her sister.

"You have to push him. I pushed my children and look how well they're doing. If you keep letting him slack off he'll work at McDonalds forever. He won't accomplish anything," she tells her.