12. Way Too Nice - Newt

You squirmed in your hammock for a bit before opening your eyes to the sun beginning to peak over the Glade.

It was an almost perfect beginning of a new day until you felt a striking pain in your abdomen.

You rapidly scrambled around to get off the hammock and scurried over to the bathroom.

Sure enough, that time of the month had arrived, unfortunately.

On the bright side, it hadn't had time to stain right through your pants. You also carried at least two tampons in the back pocket of your jeans just in case.

You smiled to yourself as you imagined the panicked look on the guys' faces if they ever saw blood stains on your hammock. You did a decent job of hiding your period from them since you got there, so you weren't sure how they'd react.

You figured they'd probably force you to stay in the med-jack hut with Clint and Jeff until they knew exactly what was 'wrong' with you.

They would probably put on gloves to take down the hammock and form a circle around the bonfire where they'd burn it as if they belonged to some cult.

When you were finished, you cautiously peered outside, wanting to make sure you avoided Newt at all costs.

He'd always been so nice to you—almost always—and you grew to trust him; a decision you regretted from time to time—like today.

He was the only one who understood the normality of a menstrual cycle since you explained it to him; he wouldn't stop pestering you about it unless you told him. He was also able to recognize your PMS—you also explained that to him.

Ever since, he'd been keeping track of your symptoms just so he could 'take care of you.' You honestly thought it was a waste of time, but it meant so much to Newt, and you realized you were already deeply entwined in that mess.

The problem was that Newt made it a huge deal. The others constantly teased him because they insisted he acted like a  gentleman only because he felt attracted to you.

To you, that was insane. He was nice and sweet the majority of the time, but he irritated you.

It didn't even make sense how such a nice boy could be so annoying when it came to him monitoring your work, ordering you around and making sure you were doing everything right.

On the other hand, when you were hurt or when you were on your period, like today, he was excessively nice. You didn't mind that; it was neat that everyone was fairly nice to you.

But Newt... oh Newt.

He exaggerated. You didn't know whether to believe he was an all-round nice guy or if he was just strict and had bipolar issues. Based on the others' recent perception of him, you figured he was probably dealing with some internal self issues.

You kept walking stealthily in case Newt came into sight. Once you saw that the coast was free, you happily made your way to the kitchen to fetch yourself some breakfast when suddenly, you felt another jolt of pain on your lower abdomen. You clenched your teeth and closed your eyes, hoping it would go away if you stayed put for a second—

"Good morning!" an accented voice called from behind you.

Curse this day, you thought.

You inhaled sharply before slowly turning around, trying to mask your grimace with a fake sweet smile.

"Hi."

"Are you alright? You seem kind of... tense." He eyed you suspiciously.

"No, no, nothing's wrong—I'm doing great!" You clasped your hands together in front of you due to nervousness. You desperately wanted to evade him this time, but your fabulous body language gave you away.