9. If Only Pt. 1 - Newt

~A/N: Ok so in this one, you aren't the only girl. You were one of the first ones to arrive but plenty other girls arrived after you.

The watchtower was in need of serious repair. Almost everyone loved to spend some time up there at certain times of the day, but the structure became unstable with overuse.

You were one of the first girls to arrive at the Glade, and you were chosen to be a Builder since you were one of the strongest girls, despite your lean figure. So that was what you currently worked on; repairing the old watchtower.

You were given the job by Gally, the Keeper. No one ever really liked the kid, but since you had more time to spend with him at the job, you learned more about him than anyone else. He was a softie at heart; at least to you. You guys became close friends pretty quickly.

As for your other friends, they were all boys, and you could count them on one hand. Gally, Minho, Alby, and Frypan.

There were still plenty other guys you still hadn't met yet, even though you'd been in the Glade for a few months.

You did try socializing with the girls out of pure instinct, but unfortunately, most of them just gave you really bad vibes.

Nonetheless, you didn't seem to mind that much, eventually. The guys were great company, and they were sweethearts too.

Nothing merely interesting ever occurred in the Glade besides the constant flirting among the guys with the girls, and everyone talking about it. It was that kind of gossip that got everyone through the entire day.

Not you. You tried to stay out of it as much as you could, so you seldom paid attention to what was going on most of the time.

The most recent gossip, however, was different from the usual. Obviously, you didn't pay much attention, but you still picked up on a few bits and pieces by eavesdropping a conversation among the other Builders.

You heard about a certain boy that had attempted suicide but was found alive in the Maze. It was a delicate subject—no one discussed it very openly. It was always the rumors you would hear, but you could tell it wasn't proper to hit the subject.

Apparently, he was some kind of an important guy to the Glade, and both the guys and girls spoke fairly well of him.

You were surprised that you hadn't formally met him or introduced yourself yet. He was a complete stranger, yet you felt sympathy for him.

This whole deal with the Maze and the creators must've been so hard for him. How was he putting up with everything he went through? Would he ever fully recover from the trauma of—?

"Good morning," a soft voice called from behind, and you turned around to be face to face with a boy you'd never seen before.

Whoa, different accent? Who was this kid?

He was noticeably taller than you, with a lean figure, but he still looked athletic. He had dirty blond hair that curled slightly around his ears and fell over his forehead in disheveled strands. Then you noticed his deep chocolate-amber eyes as they wearily switched between your eyes and the ground.

The boy hesitantly stretched out his hand for you to shake. You were still taken aback from his sudden presence, but then you set your hammer aside and dusted off your hands on your pants before shaking his hand in return.

"Um, my name's Newt. I—uh, I had to get my job switched out, so Alby sent me here. There wasn't really anything else for me to do," he mumbled.

The depressing way in which he addressed himself to you, and his unfocused gaze meant he had to be that same boy who'd lately been the subject of interest among the others.