4. Accidents Can Happen Pt. 1 - Newt

It was a boiling hot day in the Glade and everyone was diligently working their shuck butts off.

Your best friends, Minho and Thomas, were still running the Maze and it wouldn't be too long before they'd have to return before the closing of the doors.

Your boyfriend, Newt, was busy along with Alby, discussing some plans for improving the productivity in the Glade. They had occasionally met with a few Keepers throughout the day and oversaw the work being done.

You were bent over in the gardens, weeding and watering the plants close to Zart, who was busy digging up holes in the dirt. The heat was so intense that your vision was getting blurry and you felt thick beads of sweat forming on your forehead and trickling down the side of your face.

You couldn't just give yourself a break because a few weeks ago, some shanks began slacking on their tasks and it really slowed down the overall pace of the Glade. Alby and Newt went ballistic after that, and now they were strictly making sure everyone was doing their part.

You were shocked that Newt was acting so authoritative; you could easily see that coming from Alby, but not Newt. However, you couldn't let yourself be the one that didn't follow the rules, especially since you were the Second-in-command's girlfriend.

You tried paying more attention to the task in front of you, but found it extremely difficult as you felt the heat scorching your skin and your vision becoming blurrier with every passing minute.

As you pulled the weeds and tossed them to the side, you were so tired that you began losing coordination, and accidentally threw the weeds across Zart's working spot. It didn't seem like a big deal, but you wanted to make sure you were quick enough to get the weeds out of the way before he worked on that spot.

It wasn't worth risking him telling Alby or Newt that you weren't doing your job properly. You turned around and swiftly stretched out your left arm to move the weeds out of the way when—

"Ahh!"

Tears welled in your eyes, clouding your vision, as if that weren't already a problem. Pain shot up from your forearm traveling incredibly fast as you cried out in pain and laid on the ground, clutching your left arm. You felt the thick, crimson liquid gushing out of your wound and you were lightheaded; on the brink of passing out from heat exhaustion, blood loss, and excruciating pain.

"Shuck! Y/N!" Zart was kneeling next to you in an instant, worried sick and feeling terribly guilty.

The poor boy was probably frightened of Newt's reaction; first, for injuring his girl and second, for not paying attention to his job right after everyone received a long speech from the leaders about that issue.

Minho and Thomas had returned to the Glade just a few moments earlier, and they both came sprinting to your side after hearing your agonizing screams.

"Thomas! Go find Newt, now!" shouted Minho. "Zart, get your shucking butt to the med-jack hut, and get Clint and Jeff. Go, shuckface!" Minho frantically yelled at him, pushing his own hair back with his hand.

Zart quickly nodded and took off to find the med-jacks while Thomas looked for Newt.

***

"Where the shuck is he?" Thomas nervously muttered to himself.

Many Gladers had turned their heads to see where all the commotion was coming from, but not many people seemed to have heard her scream. And there was no sign of Newt.

Thomas ran as fast as he could from place to place, but after having no success, he stopped for a moment and placed his hands on his knees to catch his breath.