3. Secrets Untold - Newt

You'd been in the Glade for four months already and anyone could say you'd pretty much adapted to the place. You made several good friends and you found a job that fitted you.

One day, you were in the med-jack hut cleaning and wrapping your friend Winston's cuts.

The dumb shank had injured himself after he decided to karate chop a scrap of meat with a machete instead of a knife. Alby had banned the use of machetes for the slicers specifically due to frequent accidents like these.

The machetes would only be allowed for the track-hoes and the builders. But Winston, being the shuckface he knew how to be, never listened.

And you were pretty sure he even took Newt's machete; he was asking if anyone had seen it until he saw what happened to Winston. Needless to say, Newt looked pretty pissed at him.

That's what you get for stealing other people's toys, Winston, you thought right as you finished.

After Winston thanked you and left, you sat down for a while to rest and clear your mind for the day. You found yourself thinking about your best friend, Newt. Ever since you met him, he'd been a great help to you and really made you feel welcome in a place where other girls were nonexistent.

You liked the way he treated people and how sweet and caring he always was. You always knew that he was the guy you would come to love, but he really confused you sometimes.

Newt wasn't a happy person, and he didn't find joy in anything no matter how much you and your friends tried to spark his interest. You really wanted to help him, but lately, he'd been acting very distant from you. That scared you, especially because you couldn't stand the possibility of losing even the friendship you had with the boy you liked.

Your thoughts were interrupted by someone making their way into the med-jack room. You looked over at the door and saw Minho standing there with his arms crossed over his chest.

"What do you want, slinthead?" you groaned at him. "I'm kinda busy right now."

"What, you're cleaning the wall with your eyes, shuck-face?" You rolled your eyes at him and he continued, "Get your shuck butt out of here and just go talk to him."

"W—what? No, I wasn't thinking about Newt. Not at all," you said too quickly as you shook your head. "Wait, why are you asking me to go talk to him, is he okay?

"How do you know it's Newt I'm talking about?" he retorted, but then his demeanor became oddly serious. "It'd be nice if you could find a way to drag him outta the deadheads. He doesn't wanna talk, doesn't wanna leave the place. I'm sure he'll listen to you, he's always had a soft spot for you."

You raised your eyebrows with surprise. Newt... liked me? Nah.

Nonetheless, you went up to the door, pushing Minho to the side, and speeding out of the hut.

"Thanks for telling me. See ya!" you shouted.

You heard Minho annoyingly yelling at you for daring to even touch him, but you ignored him as you made your way to the deadheads to look for Newt.

When you got there, you kept walking and walking until you heard someone sniffling. It was then when you saw him sitting against a fallen tree trunk with his knees up to his chest and his face in his hands. You approached him carefully and sat next to him, placing your hand on his shoulder.

"Hey, Newt, are you okay?" you softy asked him. He looked up at you, and your heart sank when you saw his tear-stricken face. He quickly wiped his tears away and looked down to hide his face.

"I'm fine." You looked at him, puzzled as he said that.

"You're obviously not. Newt, you've got me worried. C'mon, you can trust me," you were almost begging him to talk to you.

He looked directly into your eyes and searched them as if he really wanted to tell you, but he was afraid. Maybe of what you'd think of him or of casting his problems onto you.

"I'm sorry, Y/N. You're the only person I actually trust and I've even set you aside. That's how much of a screw up I am." He looked down in shame. After about a minute of trying to compose himself, he took a deep breath and continued. "I just... I can't stand it here anymore. Ever since my accident, I've just felt like nothing else matters to me and that I don't matter to anyone."

"I understand, but Newt, you're not a screw up, and you were given another chance to live," you try to convince him. "You matter to me, to Minho, Thomas, Alby, and Chuck. We all care about you, and we're all worried."

"I don't want you guys to worry—it makes me more of a bloody burden to you all," his face twisted in pain as he spoke, then he let out a soft breath before his voice got even quieter. "Especially to you."

You were shocked by his words, and you hoped with all your might that he was hinting at something else. Out of impulse, you opened your mouth to find out.

"Are you sure there isn't a single thing to live for? Nothing at all? Not even your friends?" By the time you mentioned friends, you knew you had chickened out since his eyes had begun to widen until you blurted that out.

He quickly averted his eyes and seemed a little panicky.

"Uh... well, um..." He just sighed reluctantly. "Because I love my friends is why I need to go."

Disappointed, you placed your hands on his shoulders. "Listen to me. You are being selfish. I don't know if you know this, but I would die if you were gone."

His eyes became curious, and his frown disappeared. "What do you mean?"

Is he really this slow?

You were on the verge of confessing to him; the words were right at the tip of your tongue. Just a little more confidence and maybe—

"I really like you, Newt."

He didn't seem to understand what you meant because he smiled tenderly at you and said, "I like you too."

You sighed, getting irritated with yourself for not being completely clear. "No... what I mean is... I have feelings for you... like... more-than-friendship type of feelings."

"Wait, really?" His face lit up and he sounded genuinely surprised. You smiled and nodded, and Newt passed a hand over his mouth. "I have feelings for you too."

Your eyes widened and your lips parted slightly. He just confessed his feelings for me. Holy shuck—Newt just told me he likes me too!

You covered your nose and mouth with both hands in the middle of your ecstatic moment, and Newt smiled widely at your reaction.

"You really do?" you asked to confirm.

Newt nodded eagerly, grabbing your hands in his. "I'm a bloody idiot. I was scared to tell you, and I just didn't think about anyone but myself when I ran into the Maze. I'm so sorry, love. I promise things will be different—"

You leaned into him and softly pressed your lips to his. You closed your eyes as you felt him kiss back right away. He placed one hand on your cheek and the other on your waist as you placed one hand around his neck, playing with his hair as your other hand rested on his chest.

It was such a sweet kiss, not hard nor rushed, just soft. Your lips moved in sync with his as you both continued kissing for a while. You finally pulled away after a few moments and pressed your forehead against his.

You looked deep into his beautiful chocolate eyes as you whispered, "I hate this place too, but you're worth living through this." He smiled at you and caressed your cheek.

"So are you," he whispered. "I love you."

"And I love you too." He pulled you into a warm hug and you wrapped your arms around his torso.

You stayed like that without letting go, treasuring every beautiful second of that moment, knowing that you both loved each other, and things would be alright; especially for Newt.