14. Requested by @hungermazerunner - Newt

No, please, not this again...

It had already begun to settle in, slowly wrapping its suffocating embrace upon you. It was always like this—a near death experience.

"Ah, fantastic, what's the matter with you?" you heard the annoyance in Brenda's voice as you guys hid behind the corridor adjacent to the noise. You guys had to move quickly, wishing on mere luck to be able to evade the Cranks in the abyss of the underground.

You couldn't respond, too busy trying to control your breathing, which was more like an unsuccessful attempt to shut out a hyperventilating animal. The attempt only forced you to gasp for breath harder in an effort to keep yourself alive.

"Are you okay?" you heard Newt next, and the evident concern in his face was getting harder to see when his whole face was losing its clarity. Your own eyes were mocking you now.

You vehemently shook your head 'no' as you pressed your back against the wall, the troubled breathing continuing as you sank to the ground.

"You want them to find us—is that what it is?" Brenda pressed on. "Control yourself, woman. I can't deal with this on top of everything."

"You're not bloody helping," Newt snapped at Brenda, immediately crouching next to you and taking your shoulders with both hands. "Y/N, breathe, okay?"

You glared at him as you felt the air escape your lungs at a faster pace. "I—I can't..."

Meanwhile, the distant shriek of Cranks surely past the Gone only grew louder, and despair was settling quickly among the three of you. You knew it was a bad idea to get separated from Thomas, Minho and the others. They might've been impulsive, but they would've been the biggest help you guys would have in a moment like this.

The sole memory of the Cranks you saw just outside the dorm's window—with their deteriorated skin and protruded, black veins—was enough to terrorize you, and you couldn't withstand having to face more of them; it was something that was threatening to happen in the next couple of minutes, and your body wasn't letting you prepare for it.

Newt also began to go into a full blown panic, and without meaning to, you figured, he lost his composure with you. "If you could just calm down for a few seconds, we can start running before we're Crank food—Y/N please!"

"Don't you think I know that!" you shouted at him before needing to make up for the amount of effort it took to shout.

Then you regretted the shouting as you realized you had quite deliberately given away your location to the Cranks.

"Good job," Brenda scolded you, but your whole body felt so cold despite the profuse sweating steaming off from you that you couldn't even bring yourself to retaliate.

"Brenda, take this flashlight and distract them—I gotta stay with her until it passes," said Newt with resolve as he stood up, throwing his flashlight at her.

Brenda caught it but gave Newt a questioning look. "Until what passes? You both are gonna get eaten alive!"

"What kind of a buggin' question is that? She's having a panic attack, wasn't that obvious? Hurry or we'll all die!" Newt shouted at her.

"It won't be my fault," she muttered before taking off into a different corridor.

Newt turned back to you and sat crossed-legged in front of you, seemingly very nervous as he took your hands in his. "Try to look at me, Y/N."

You forced your eyes to focus on the blond boy in front of you, and you fought the embarrassment you felt because of him seeing you like this. You knew Newt himself struggled with adapting to the Glade back before you guys escaped, but he never displayed any weakness in front of anyone.