7. A Single Venturous Night Pt. 1 - Newt

~A/N: alright, since many of you have come across this part and totally assumed they were gonna do the dirty (I don't do smut), let me clarify for future readers. This one is supposed to be purely platonic. *Almost* no romance hinted, but it's a fun one.

Thanks for coming to my TED Talk ;)

––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Your daily routine in the Glade consisted of helping Frypan in the kitchen as much as he needed. Every morning, you were responsible for packing lunch for the Runners before they took off into the Maze.

During breakfast, lunch, and dinner times, you and Frypan were hastily working, cooking, and serving food.

When everyone was finished eating, you spent a good amount of time cleaning up the kitchen.

One day, it was almost time for lunch, and Frypan had sent you to get some vegetables from the gardens.

As you approached the Track-hoes, you saw your best friend, Newt, glance over at you. He gave you a warm smile as you waved at him and he stood up from his crouched position to greet you.

"Hey, come to pick up some fresh vegetables?" Newt asked you.

"Yeah, Frypan needs his order. He told you which ones he was asking for, right?" You wiped the sweat off your forehead.

I don't even work outside and I'm sweating more than Newt is, you thought.

Working in the kitchen was indeed making you sweat like crazy. You weren't working under the heat of the sun, but you were constantly near the fire, which was about the same—if not, worse. The Glade wasn't even that hot anyways, almost as if the sun were there only for decoration.

Meanwhile, Newt bent down to pick up a basket already filled with all kinds of vegetables that Frypan usually liked to add to his best recipes.

"Yeah, had 'em all ready just before you came. Here," he handed you the basket and you thanked him with a smile.

He offered to help you carry the basket back to the kitchen, and you let him.

He took a glimpse at your heated face. "You know, I feel like you could use a little break from your routine, don't ya think?" he asked you in that lovely British accent as you both headed towards the kitchen.

"Well... I don't know. Cleaning a kitchen and cooking for like about fifty boys does take up most of my time," you sighed, "and Frypan will shucking lose it if I leave him with all the work."

"Who said anything about having to leave your job? We can meet tonight to do something fun—to clear your mind a bit. You're overworking yourself, Y/N." Newt smirked. "And besides, no one has to know."

The side of your lips curved into a smile as you tried imagining what he had in mind. "Hm, do something fun like what?" you asked him.

"I was thinking of something extra," he said, with childlike amusement. "Something you and I wouldn't normally be found doing. Maybe something bad enough that no one would suspect it was us. Just once, but it has to be memorable," he answered, still holding his smile. You stopped walking and turned to face him as he also stopped.

"What's this klunk I'm hearing? Alby's right hand wants to be a bad guy now?" you playfully raised an eyebrow and crossed your arms over your chest.

"Aw c'mon Y/N. It'll be fun. You're not gonna regret it—you need to distract yourself a bit. True, this place bloody sucks and you have a lot to do, but this will get your mind off that at least," he replied as you both kept walking.

"Okay... well, what do you suggest, shuckface?" you became curious over the extent of Newt's imagination.

He thought for a while until he caught sight of the kitchen hut. An idea immediately popped into his mind and you watched as his eyes lit up.

"I've got it!" he gleefully exclaimed, "Let's sabotage the kitchen tonight," he muttered in a lower voice. Your eyes went wide.

"Have you lost your mind? I work in the kitchen. You think I'm gonna wreck my own workplace?" you tried to hold back a laugh after hearing his stupid idea.

"Yes. I mean—uh... well, no one has to know it's us," he pressed on.

"Okay yeah, but think about the mess. I'm gonna have to clean that up tomorrow and I'm not looking forward to doing extra work," you whined.

"I can help you clean tomorrow. You've helped me out in the gardens before," he mentioned. "And besides, everyone knows about Frypan's secret dessert stash. I mean, I guess it's not really a secret anymore, but anyone would die to have it, if it weren't for Alby and Frypan."

"Yeah, I'm surprised no one has tried to steal them yet," you added. You were still debating whether to agree on doing this with Newt or not.

"C'mon," he sighed, "look into my eyes and tell me you wouldn't risk one night and a whole other day of cleaning for a taste of that good stuff. You, more than anyone else, know what kind of pastries he has there."

You bit your lip, almost wanting to give in to his offer. You did know what kind of desserts Frypan had in there, they looked irresistibly delicious. You sighed in surrender.

"Fine," you said, and he grinned with excitement. "But you promise you'll help me clean up tomorrow, right?" you pointed a warning finger at him.

"Of course, I promise," he said as you opened the door of the kitchen hut to let him in. He greeted Frypan and placed the basket next to where Frypan was seasoning some meat. You thanked Newt as he turned to leave.

As he passed you, he winked at you and whispered, "behind the homestead tonight?" You smiled and gave him a quick nod.

You got back to work, washing, and cutting up the vegetables Newt had picked for you.

"What was that all about?" Frypan looked over his shoulder at you.

"What do you mean?" You acted all confused.

"Newt. Why's he acting all weird with you?"

"He's just being friendly, unlike you," you playfully stuck your tongue out at him.

"I beg your pardon, princess," he mocked you playfully, "get back to work, shank."

——————

~A/N: Part 2 coming soon