1. The Bonfire - Newt

A/N: I know some things in here contradict the book a little but I hope you're good with that. This will start off in the reader's pov but I will add on Newt's pov for the rest of it ;)

~Your POV

A new Greenie arrived this morning.

He made justice to his strong build when he sprinted away as soon as he was dragged out of the box. He tripped and face-planted after that though, which tore down your perception of his all-star runner appearance.

Poor shank, you thought.

You understood what it was like to be forced upon an unknown world, beginning with that dreaded box. And naturally, you knew it was only gonna get worse for him.

You were just sitting against a log one night, listening to the Gladers have their monthly Greenie-welcoming riot while you were by yourself, silent, and just thinking about your time in the Glade. You weren't in the mood to join the guys this month.

You've been feeling hopeless in the last couple of days, not really interested in anything at all.

Things weren't like this at first for you. You used to be the energetic Greenie that was determined to get out of here just like everyone else. You were a track-hoe, but you still tried to sneak into the Maze on your own one day, just to see if you could find an exit that the Runners might've missed. That totally failed because Newt and Alby caught you while they were getting ready to release the Runners for the day.

You realized what you did was actually really stupid because there was no way you would go unnoticed anywhere around the Glade, and there was no way you'd be able to top the Runners in their job.

After you saw Glader after Glader getting stung by the Grievers, and after accidentally walking in on someone going through the Changing, later witnessing their banishment, you started feeling different.

It was panic—you figured. A slow descent into complete and utter hopelessness enough to keep you up at night.

You used to enjoy the company of your best friends, Minho and Newt, especially when you three would all laugh your heads off after pulling pranks on the others—which was the reason why only Minho and Newt were your friends on the daily.

Now, you didn't even have the energy to have any kind of social interaction. At least not anytime soon.

These idiots, you thought to yourself as the noise from the bonfire stared getting on your nerves.

~Newt's POV

I watched everyone get full-on drunk on Gally's recipe, especially Minho and Frypan. They were attempting to dance around the fire. If you could bloody even call that dancing.

They tried to convince me to join them but I refused to make a fool out of myself. When I finally escaped them, I just sat in front of the fire kinda talking to Chuck and the Greenie for a bit until something—someone else caught my attention.

I turned to watch Y/N sitting against a log, facing the Maze, extremely deep in thought. I have to admit that she had me worried.

She used to be this lively girl who wouldn't let anything bring her down. Determination sparkled in her eyes and her positive attitude made me forget about the terrible things happening around us. Her company was enjoyable to both Minho and I. I'll admit it was more enjoyable for me 'cause I felt like a different person anytime I got to be around her. She inspired courage, which is exactly what I need sometimes.

We even had to stop her from trying something ridiculous. Having Thomas do that kind of thing was enough of a hassle.

I would've never thought that such a spirited human being could end up drowning herself in such pitiful misery. That was what I used to do. My heart ached for her. I hated seeing her like this.