5. Accidents Can Happen Pt. 2 - Newt

Most of the boys went to go eat so Newt, Thomas, and Minho went to get some dinner as well while they waited for you to wake up.

As they ate, Newt stood up to get the three of them some water since they were nearly dehydrated.

It wasn't difficult to notice the brutality of the heat, which made Newt feel awful.

Thoughts of you invaded his mind as well. I need her to wake up. I need to tell her that I'm sorry. His guilt consumed him as he wiped the sweat from his forehead and brought back the water. He made a mental note to have a serious conversation with Alby soon.

Thomas saw the apprehensive look on his friend's face and he put his hand on Newt's shoulder, giving him a reassuring smile. Minho ruffled Newt's dirty blond hair into a mess and patted him on the back.

"Newt, she'll be fine. She's stronger than you," Minho told him, a smirk forming on his face.

"I bloody know she is," Newt snapped at him. "I'm just worried she won't forgive me—that she'll be so disappointed in me that she'll want to end things between us. I don't want to lose her, Minho, and I don't want her to think I've changed. Shuck, I shouldn't have let her work in the gardens today," added Newt as he looked down at his hands with eyebrows furrowed.

"I wouldn't worry about that," Thomas told him. "You also know she's nice and understanding. She'll forgive you if you just talk to her and apologize," he added.

"I'm sorry to you both as well," said Newt. "We shouldn't have sent you guys to the Maze."

"It's fine, at least we purged ourselves, huh shank?" Minho nudged Thomas's arm.

But Thomas didn't look amused. "No, it sucked like klunk, but it's okay. You're forgiven, Newt. We think it's more Alby's fault than yours anyway."

Thomas was still talking when Clint came running towards them to tell them that you had woken up. The three of them stood up from the table so hurriedly that they almost knocked it over.

As soon as they opened the door to the med-jack hut, they found you sitting on the bed with your arm placed carefully in front of you, resting on your lap. Your head was bowed and you raised it slowly to glance at the boys with a blank look on your face.

"Y/N, love, how are you feeling?" Newt softly asked as he sat next to you on the bed. He reached out to hold your good arm but you quickly retracted it.

"No, Newt. Don't act like you care when we all know that's not true," you told him with disappointment lacing your voice. "Look at me, Newt. Look at them." You motioned to your arm, then to the sick Gladers still on the other beds of the med-jack hut. "This is how much you care about them? About me? Look at us, Newt! Worked up to pure exhaustion."

Newt set his arms on his lap and looked down in shame. You had never seen him look so upset and you kind of wished you hadn't spoken so harshly to him, but you wanted the kind and worried-about-everyone Newt back, and you needed to let him know that.

"Alright, we'll leave you two alone. Glad to see you're awake, shank," Minho told you.

"Thanks guys," you said as Minho and Thomas made their way out of the room.

You focused your attention back on your boyfriend who had a mortified look on his face. Everyone else in the room was sleeping and resting by then, so you knew it'd be a perfect time to have your conversation with Newt.

You took a deep breath. "I get it that you and Alby are stressed out. But to get to the point where you care more about the work being done than the people working, that's a problem. You know why?" your voice softened. "I know you. You're not like that. Where did my sweet Newtie go, huh? Since when is being Second-in-command more important than being my boyfriend and just being you in general?"

"Y/N..." Newt sighed in defeat. "I—I'm so sorry. I know I have no excuse for what I did, but I'm sorry." He covered his face with both hands and you could tell he was truly devastated.

"Newt—"

He brought his hands down on his lap before cutting you off, "This isn't who I really am, I promise. I'm sorry for letting stress get the best of me, but I promise it won't happen again, love." Newt stared into your eyes with a pleading look on his face. "I just don't want to lose you over this. I was so worried when I heard you got hurt and then when I saw your arm..." Newt huffed out a deep breath. "I almost bloody lost it, knowing you got hurt like this because of me."

You noticed the manner in which he looked at you. His entire face radiated sincerity—and panic.

"Newtie, you're not gonna lose me, are you kidding?" You cupped your boyfriend's cheek with your good arm and gently stroked it with your thumb. "I love you. You're amazing, and you always learn from your mistakes. I'm here to help you see that just like you're here to help me."

Newt smiled, looking relieved. "I love you too."

You then raised your eyebrows at him questioningly. "I think you still need to apologize to the Gladers, right?"

Newt grinned knowingly as he placed his hand over yours still cupping his cheek.

"Well, somebody once taught me that character is defined not by the mistakes we make, but by the steps we take to fix them," Newt's voice lowered as he gave you a look you knew too well by then. "Which is why I gave everyone the rest of the day off and I'm planning on talking to Alby about this. I also went around and apologized to the others."

Your lips curved into a smile as you listened to Newt, feeling proud of him for assuming his errors and fixing them, for still being his amazing self, and for just being the sweetest guy ever.

"Oh, but wait, I haven't officially asked you the most important thing," Newt recalled. You gave him a confused look.

"What is it?"

"Do you forgive me, love?" You wanted to laugh at how adorable he was.

You decided to tease him a little, so you took your hand from his cheek and looked at him with the most deadpan expression you managed to pull off. Then you glanced down at your injured arm in dismay. When you looked back at him, you could see the moment his smile faltered and panic began to fill his beautiful brown eyes.

You couldn't contain yourself any longer, so you wrapped your arm around his neck, stroking his hair as you leaned in to kiss his lips. You smiled into the kiss, then had to pull away when you burst out laughing. Newt was stunned and wide-eyed before he chuckled in relief.

"You almost gave me a bloody heart attack."

"Just shut up," you whispered and leaned in to peck his lips again. "You know I love you, shuckface," you murmured against his lips. Another kiss. "And you love me so much you'll never let me forget it; my broken arm is proof," you joked, giving him a smirk.

"Stop it," he chuckled as your noses rubbed together. He pulled away with a new look on his face. "I'll show you how much you mean to me." He bit his bottom lip as he glimpsed at your lips, then he suddenly cupped your face with both hands and pushed his lips against yours. You melted into his touch, kissing back, and then you felt him smile into the kiss.

You felt a wide range of emotions emerge from that single kiss.

You felt him apologize meaningfully for everything he did.

You felt how undoubtedly he loved you.

And you felt how irresistible he truly was. You certainly let him know that by the way you kissed him.

You were both out of breath when you pulled apart briefly. Newt looked into your eyes and what he said next almost made you melt.

"If this is what I get for apologizing, I'll be sure to do it several times a day," he said with a husky voice.

"You don't even have to apologize for me to do this." You pulled him by his hoodie, finding yourself going for his lips again, Newt eagerly reciprocating the action.