2. The Lucky Greenie - Newt

You heard a loud clanking metal noise above you, and felt a jolting movement like if you were inside some kind of elevator.

Waitelevator? you thought. Where in the world am I? Err, hold on... who am I?!

Your thoughts swarmed in your now pounding head. You couldn't remember absolutely anything. Your family, your friends; your entire life. Every memory seemed too vague—an indistinguishable  blur in your mind.

The elevator—or whatever compartment you found yourself trapped in—finally came to an abrupt stop, then you heard metal doors opening. The brightness of the outside world immediately struck your eyes, momentarily blinding you.

"What's the Greenie look like, Gally?" you heard a voice above as someone grabbed your arm and roughly hauled you to your feet.

"Day one Greenie, rise and shine," this boy, whom you assumed you heard his name was Gally, welcomed you ever so nicely.

You were beginning to panic at the sight of so many teenage boys staring down at you like if you were a strange creature that had just crawled out of the darkest chamber of existence.

You didn't remember ever seeing your reflection, so you didn't know whether your appearance was what produced such a shocking reaction among the crowd.

There weren't any girls in sight to top things off, so you decided to stick to keeping your distance from people—like a normal person would in this situation, right?

"Hey there, Greenie, name's Alby," an older boy introduced himself and came to help you out of the box. "I'll show you around the Glade and tell you everything you need to know about this place. Just please don't attack me with questions until I'm done talking, good that? Follow me," he said, without awaiting a response.

You followed Alby and he showed you a bit around the so-called Glade. You were confused like no other with everything this boy was telling you, and you could barely pay attention. All you really got was that no one knew anything other than their name.

Alby didn't look like he was in the mood to explain everything, so you decided to keep your mouth shut.

All you could do was just stick around and catch on to things on your own. Or maybe you could have enough luck to find someone out here who was nice enough to help you out.

Alby began introducing you to a couple of boys who seemed important. It wasn't all that interesting until a tall boy with dirty blond hair approached you both.

"Greenbean, this is Newt," Alby introduced him. "When I'm not around he's in charge—in fact—I gotta go take care of somethin', so Newt, do ya mind being in charge of our Greenie here?"

"Sure thing, I don't mind," Newt replied with a smile.

You were mesmerized by the odd accent he had. Then he turned to you and gave you the sweetest smile. "Hey Greenie, name's Newt, as you must've already heard. Do you remember your name at all?"

"Hi, Newt... um, I'm Y/N," you told him, surprised by how quiet your voice actually was.

This was the first time you had spoken at all since you came out of the box, and you were getting annoyed by being called Greenie. You mentally praised Newt for being the first person to at least have the decency to ask for your name.

"That's a really nice name, Y/N," he beamed. "Here, let me show a place where we can talk and you can ask me anything you want to know without having to hear anyone's bloody shouting."

You followed Newt across the Glade and into the woods. The two of you sat down against a tree and he told you all about the Maze and its sickly, failed-experiment type inhabitants.

The information was horrifying, and it was so hard to believe that kind of threat existed. You decided to assume Newt was just trying to mess with you to see how strong you were.

"You really surprise me, Y/N," he suddenly said. "You're taking this pretty well, in fact, better than any of us had. I think you won't have a problem adapting here," he added, smiling yet again, then getting distracted while playing with the grass.

What a happy boy, you thought as you smiled back.

"Thank you, Newt, for everything. You were the first person that was nice to me, and you call me by my actual name," you told him. Then with random confidence you added, "I hope you don't mind if I stick around you more—everyone seems so angry and rude, and you're different from the others. I'm lucky I met you."

He raised his head to look at you and smiled again, a small blush appearing on his cheeks.

"Well, I'm lucky I met you. Seeing a smile around here is rare, as you were able to tell."

That made you sad, especially when you saw the switch in Newt's face, his smile suddenly gone.

"Is it really that bad?" you asked softly, your curiosity increasing. Being trapped was terrifying, but you thought there had to be a logical explanation behind this—there had to be, right?

That was when you realized Newt wasn't joking about the Maze creatures.

"Yah—but don't worry, we'll figure it out," he blurted, almost too quickly. He must've seen the look on your face and tried so hard not to scare you.

You didn't know how things would look for you and the boys at that point, but figuring it out was the next step from there.

But things might not be too bad as long as Newt was around. Thank goodness for Newt.

After all, you were just a Greenie with a load of good luck.