8. A Single Venturous Night Pt. 2 - Newt

—Time skip to later at night—

You slowly crept out of your bed and cautiously left your room, trying to make the least noise possible.

All of the rooms in the homestead were reserved for Alby, Newt, and the Keepers, but being the only girl gave you the right to one for the sake of privacy.

"Y/N? Where the shuck are you going?" You turned around and saw Gally right outside of the homestead, with pillows and blankets on the floor with him. He sat up to look at you and raised those eyebrows of his that gave you nightmares.

"Gally? Uh... what are you doing here? Did Alby kick you out of your own room for good?" you laughed nervously, trying not to sound suspicious—although being out of bed at that time wasn't helping your situation.

He groaned and harshly let his back slump against the covers and pillows. "No, it's Minho. Shank snores louder than the Grievers' screeches."

You burst out laughing, but quickly covered your mouth to not wake the other Gladers sleeping in hammocks nearby. "I'm so sorry, Gally."

"Whatever," he shrugged. "Anyway, why are you up?"

"Oh—you know... got thirsty. I'm gonna go get some water in the kitchen," you stammered. He nodded, then turned over just like that to try to sleep.

You let out your breath in relief as you quietly tiptoed behind the homestead to find Newt.

You found him leaning against the homestead and as soon as he saw you, he smiled.

"Took you some time, eh?" he asked.

"Gally was there, it's not my fault."

"I know. I'm so glad my room is far from Minho's," he whispered, then he grabbed your wrist. "You ready?"

"Bet," you replied. He quickly led you towards the kitchen and cautiously opened the door.

You knew exactly where Frypan stored the food, and when you took it all out, you and Newt's eyes grew wide. You didn't know there were that many cookies and cakes in there. It was such a marvelous sight for the two of you, looking like Hansel and Gretel when they stumbled upon the candy house.

Next thing you knew, the kitchen was chaos.

Newt devoured the chocolate chip cookies and you chugged down the cheesecake. You guys were having the time of your lives, laughing as you gobbled up the sweet delicacies Frypan had taken time and effort to make.

You tried to keep the noise level to a minimum, but it was so hard when Newt kept making you laugh with all the frosting smearing his cheeks and around his mouth.

He suddenly stopped, and you stood there looking up at him.

"Close your eyes." You did as you were told. "Now, open your mouth," he continued. When you opened your mouth, he carefully brought his fingers up to your mouth and fed you something.

"Savor the sweetness around your mouth," he said. You nodded slowly as you chewed on it. "Guess?"

"Cherry," you replied with a smile. You opened your eyes and you saw him already smiling at you.

You felt the red juice run down from the corner of your mouth and you brought your hand up to wipe it off, but Newt stopped you.

"I got it."

He used his thumb and gently wiped your mouth. You always loved how sweet he was with you.

You and Newt had been best friends after only two weeks since you arrived at the Glade.

You were sure you had feelings for the guy, and you were almost positive that your feelings were corresponded. Maybe one day he'd confess his feelings to you, or maybe you would.

Maybe one day you two could be together. Maybe one day your nightly adventures could turn into hours on end of stargazing next to each other.

Soon, maybe. But as of right now, you guys were simply two young souls, feeling the rush of adrenaline when no one else was watching.

You giggled as you took in Newt's frosting-stained features, so you grabbed a napkin from the cupboard and gently wiped the chocolate off his face. He looked at you admiringly as you bit your lip in concentration.

The moment of bliss was rudely interrupted by shouting coming from the other side of the door.

Once you and Newt heard the noise, you both scrambled around and tried to hide behind one of the cupboards, but not before grabbing bits and pieces of cookies and cake you guys left over. You almost dropped the piece of cake you were holding as you tried to keep yourself from laughing.

"Wait, just one more," you whispered as you grabbed another piece.

"Give me one," Newt giggled. You grabbed him a piece, and as soon as you went back to hide next to Newt behind the cupboard, the door of the kitchen flew open to reveal a stunned Frypan. You and Newt held your breath, and he made sure to cover your mouth in case you couldn't keep quiet.

"My... wha—my kitchen! What the shuck happened in here?!" Frypan shouted. "I'll find you, shuck-face, wherever you are!"

He started searching around in the kitchen, but when his back was towards you two, you quickly shuffled past and exited the hut.

Frypan finally gave up trying to find who broke into his kitchen like that. After seeing that only his desserts were sabotaged, he relaxed a bit and muttered, "Great. Tomorrow, Y/N should better help me clean this up, or else..."

You and Newt quickly ran back to the homestead, and Gally was still sleeping outside so you proceeded with caution.

"Thank you for this, Newt. You were right—I really needed the fun," you quietly thanked him.

He smiled widely. "Of course. Told you it was worth it," he winked. "Maybe we should be more careful next time." You chuckled, not sure if there was ever gonna be a 'next time.' "Goodnight, Y/N." He left you at your door before going to his room, which was two rooms further.

"Goodnight, Newt." You entered your room and as soon as you lied in bed, sleep overtook your whole body as you happily dozed off.

—Time skip to the next day—

You made your way to the kitchen early in the morning, preparing a solid lie for Frypan about the chaotic scene in there.

You opened the door and Frypan was throwing away the crumbs and leftover pieces of cake into a trash can.

"Wow," you dramatically gasped. "This place is wrecked!"

Shuck, what am I doing? Poor Frypan, you thought. Frypan nodded, but he acted as if he already expected this to happen sooner or later.

Not long after, Newt showed up to help you clean up as he'd promised. As soon as he looked at you, you both shared a look and you smiled to yourself.

Newt was right. It was totally worth sacrificing some time to clean all the mess because all throughout that time, you were happily remembering the exciting chaos you both had caused in there the night before.

Thank goodness for Newt, you thought.