85: A Funeral

(3rd Person POV)

The Next Day

Jimin woke up early, dressing himself in his all black attire. He removed his earrings, setting them aside. The only jewelry he left on was the silver ring on his left hand. After running a comb through his hair, Jimin stared at himself in the full length mirror. He adjusted the black tie around his neck, lost in his own thoughts. Being apart from Yoongi had helped Jimin regain that sense independence he had given up so long ago. However, he also felt an empty part in his chest, a little home Yoongi had formed in his heart. 

Haru's soft cries pulled Jimin from his thoughts. He smiled a bit and turned around, heading to the crib beside his bed.

"Is our Haru awake now?" Jimin muttered lovingly, retrieving the infant from the crib, "We gotta get you all dressed."

Jimin decided to dress Haru in the opposite color of what everyone would be wearing. White everything, except for a black blanket Jimin would carry around. As soon as Jimin was done dressing Haru, he placed him back in the crib to prepare his portable oxygen machine and diaper bag, both of which were conveniently combined into a back pack. Although it was relatively heavy, Jimin put it on. He attached the oxygen tube to Haru before picking the infant up.

"All ready, Haru?" Jimin smiled, leaning down to place a kiss on the baby's head. Jimin took another quick scan around the room, ensuring he had everything. However, he caught a glance of himself in the mirror.

Jimin, all dressed in black, holding Haru, all dressed in white. On their way to Kirang's funeral. A sudden wave of guilt washed over Jimin, causing him to tense and choke up.

"You know...if your dad had never met me," Jimin said, his voice cracking as he was on the edge of tears. He looked down at Haru, who just barely opened his eyes at the sound of Jimin's voice, "...Maybe your momma would still be here. I'm sorry, Haru. I promise you and Kirang that you will be raised well..." Jimin sniffled, tilting his head backwards to avoid crying. He took a few deep breathes, shaking his head. There was no sense in wallowing in the past.

The ride to the funeral home was quiet. The mood was somber, as if reality was finally sinking in with everyone. It was a cloudy day, thick gray clouds covering the sky.

"Look at all the media." Jin said as he pulled up into the entrance of the funeral home. Reporters were lining the doorways, camera flashes going off as attendees arrived. Kirang was the rich daughter of a well known business man, it was no doubt her sudden death was a hot topic. Namjoon got out of the car first. Followed by Taehyung, Jungkook, Seokjin, and then Jimin.

Jimin squinted as the cameras flashed around him. He used the blanket he had brought to cover Haru, shielding him from the flashes. He used long strides to get into the funeral hall, sighing in relief once he was inside. The smell of burning incense filled the room, rows of benches lining the hall.

Through the large crowd of people dressed in black, Jimin could see the wooden casket in the front of the hall. It was surrounded by beautiful white flowers, candles, and a large portrait of a smiling Kirang rested at the head of the casket. It was closed, the lid adorned with fresh white roses. Jimin quietly made his way to the front, excusing himself as he squeezed through the crowd.

Jimin stood there quietly, staring blankly at the casket. He moved over to the benches and sat down in the front row. His eyes shifted to Kirang's portrait, to her bright smile and perfect hair. And suddenly, Jimin was crying. He felt the warmth of tears on his cheeks, his chest squeezing painfully. Haru was asleep in his arms.

He wasn't sure how much time went by. People came and went, saying their final goodbyes to Kirang. Jimin didn't know who they were, and they didn't care who he was. Like the plague, they avoided Jimin, the crying mess with the baby.