56: Rainy Day

(3rd Person POV)

A/N: I was listening to "The Night We Met" by Lord Huron as I wrote this and lemme just tell you, the feels hit me hard 😭

10 Years Ago; Busan, South Korea

"Do you know what's wrong with him? How did the doctor's appointment go?" Kirang asked quietly, her hand lightly rubbing the back of the boy laying in the cot she was sitting on. Jiwon walked in from the other room, holding a rag soaked in water. At only 11 years old, Kirang and Jiwon were rather incapable of caring for an ill person, but they tried their best.

"They don't know what's wrong." Jiwon carefully turned the boy over, sweeping his hair back before placing the rag on his forehead. Nine year old Jimin whimpered, he was running a high fever and drifting in and out of consciousness.

"The doctors said there was a medicine they could try, but it's too expensive...mom is working to get whatever money she can, but dad is always wasting it on alcohol...if we buy his medicine,  we'll have no food for months.." Jiwon sat next to Kirang, his eyes lingering over Jimin's sleeping figure. His cheeks were red, sweat drenching his small body.

"I don't want to lose him, Ki." Jiwon's eyes filled with tears, "I wish I could help him, but there's nothing I can do. I'm useless..."

"Let me buy his medicine." Kirang smiled brightly as she stood up, "You never accept anything from me. Maybe this is a good time to do so."

"Kirang, you know I don't like to take your money--" Jiwon was interrupted by Kirang's hand on his cheek.

"Just this once. Please? You know I care about that little punk just as much as you do...he's like my little brother. I hate seeing him this way." Kirang's eyes wandered over to Jimin, a frown adorning her graceful features, "How much is the medicine?"

"Three hundred dollars." Jiwon muttered softly.

"If I get that money, do you promise to go buy his medicine straight away?" Kirang watched as Jiwon wiped a few tears from his eyes before nodding softly. He stood up, nodding a bit more enthusiastically.

"Good. Then, I'll go get it right away." Kirang pulled Jiwon into a gentle hug, "Hang in there, Jiwon. You're so brave in caring for Jimin all on your own."

Jiwon returned her hug. Something about Kirang was instantly comforting to him.

"I just wish there was more I could do." Jiwon sniffled, "When I grow up, I'll become a doctor. I'll save Jiminie."

"I know you can do it." Kirang planted a kiss on Jiwon's cheek before they parted ways.

Kirang and Jiwon lived only minutes apart, a brick wall seperated the rich communities from the poor houses. 

Kirang was an expert in climbing the brick wall. She effortlessly hopped over, running across the large, grassy backyard and straight into the luxurious mansion she called home. Like always, no one was home. Her dad was working, mom was with her friends, and the maids were off doing their jobs. Kirang walked upstairs to her father's study. She knew it was forbidden, but she'd do anything for Jiwon and Jimin.

Quietly, Kirang crept to the safe her father kept on the shelf behind his books. She removed all the books, typing the passcode into the safe before it clicked open.

She removed five hundred dollars. Kirang froze as she heard heavy footsteps approaching. She hurridly locked the safe and returning the books to their place before darting for the door.