39

*third person*

When Amity had fallen asleep, Katherine wandered into a study, looking for some alcohol. She walked in on Elijah.
"Oh, uh. My bad." She turned to walk out.
"Bourbon's in that cabinet." He gestured.
"Thanks." She said. "So I like your sister and all, but she's different. Like, she's changed in the past few weeks. Your brother's death did all that?"
"My sister was already mourning too many losses. And she was exceptionally close to Finn. They were twins. So, yeah. His death broke her in ways I don't even understand."
"I can only imagine." Katherine poured two cups holding one out to Elijah who walked over and took it. "She's different. She's not like your siblings, Amity."
"I know. She's always been that way. Always doing more for others than herself."
"Oh, believe me, I know." Katherine poured herself another glass and downing it in a gulp.
"What's that supposed to mean?"
"It means, I want to make Elena Gilbert's life absolute hell." Elijah looked at Katherine. "The question is, are you in?"
"I know you hate Elena-"
"Oh, this really isn't that." Katherine shook her head. "This is about your sister. Can you look at me and honestly tell me you don't want the save Elena team in Mystic Falls to suffer for making your happy, vibrant sister depressed?"
"That's what Niklaus and Rebekah are there for."
"Right. Your siblings are there to make them suffer? If your siblings had true intentions of making them suffer, trust me, they'd be suffering. And you know that."
"What do you propose?" He asked and Katherine grinned, devilishly.

The next morning, when Amity awoke, Katherine was searching through her closet.
"What are you doing?" She questioned, sitting up.
"You need nicer clothes." Katherine said. "These all scream grandma or, at the very least, midlife crisis."
"Midlife crisis?"
"Yeah. You're neither."
"Technically I am a grandma, so leave my clothing alone."
"Too late. I've already cut up or thrown out most of your clothes. We're going shopping." Katherine stated walking out. Amity groaned and fell back into her bed, pulling the covers over her head. "Get out of bed, Amity!"
"No! Go away!" Amity mumbled.
"She's right. Just because you're a grandma, doesn't mean you have to dress like a grandma." Amira said, joining in. She walked into Amity's room and pulled the duvet off her, exposing her to the cold.
"Traitor." Amity said getting out of her bed.
"Just get ready."
"I'm not wearing anything revealing."

"I'm not buying this." Amity said. The girls had managed to get her to at least come out of the dressing room.
"Why not? You look hot." Katherine said but Amity just shook her head.
"I feel naked."
"You're barely showing your... anything!"
"Maybe go a little easy, Katherine? It's been nine centuries. She wasn't eased into the transition from dresses to shirts."
"Fine. No stomach or legs."
"Thank you." Amity sighed, but her face contorted into horror as Katherine gave her a pile of clothes. "Oh, dear lord. Katherine!"
"I said no stomach or legs. I said nothing about cleavage." Katherine shrugged.
"No!" Amity said.
"Fine." Katherine scowled before giving her one last outfit. Amity withdrew into the changing rooms and came out a few minutes later wearing tights, knee-length boots and a mini skirt, with a black top and a leather jacket. "This is it. You look hot, and you're not really showing any skin."
"Fine." Amity sighed. The top was quite loose so it'd be fine for the first few months of pregnancy. "Can we go home now?"
"Oh no. No no no." Katherine said horrified.
"This is a makeover." Amira explained to her. "You're still in a twelfth century mindset. We need to get you out of that. So in order to do that, we need to give you a new mindset. This is the twenty first century. New clothes, new hair-"
"And a new beau." Katherine smirked and Amity felt uneasy.
"A beau?"
"We'll explain later." Amira said, as she and Katherine looped their arms around Amity's and led her out of the store. They went into a beauty salon. Amity didn't know what was going on. Katherine talked to a woman.
"What are you guys doing to me?"
"Just changing your hair a little. Nothing big. A trim. New hair, new you. Trust me. It always works."

An hour later the hairdresser stepped away from Amity and uncovered the mirror.
"What happened to my hair?" She shrieked. "The colour?!"
"She dyed it. You can change hair colours. Like it?"
"It's darker. And shorter. But it's pretty."
"Great. But we're not finished here. We still gotta get mani-pedis."
"Mani-pedi?"
"Yeah. Come on." Amira said, dragging her over to the front of the salon. The three of them sat and waited for someone to attend to them, though it didn't take long.
"So what is happening to our fingernails and toenails?" Amity asked, and her nail technician looked at her.
"Amity just relax. You'll see when it's done." Katherine said.
"I'm curious."
"She's making them pretty." Was Katherines only reply, and make them pretty she did. Amity was in awe at what seemed like new hands.
"Wow." Amity stared at her hands.
"Now we need to get your ears pierced and you'll be able to start afresh."
"My ears pierced? That sounds painful."
"It's not." Amira promised. "Just trust me."
"Oh, what the hell. Go big or go home, right?"
"I like your enthusiasm." Katherine said and talked to one of the ladies attending to them.
When Amity saw the needle she started to freak out.
"It's okay." Amira soothed. "You'll be fine. It's totally okay."
"We can just use the gun." The woman said.
"Gun?" Amity asked and the woman took out a piercing gun. "Would that work?"
"Yes." The woman said. Amity sighed and calmed down.
"Let's get this over with."

"You have officially had a total makeover." Katherine said.
"How's it feel?"
"It feels good."
"New clothes, check." Amira started.
"New hair, check." Katherine continued.
"New nails, check."
"New piercing check."
"Now all that's left is-"
"-a new beau!" Katherine finished.
"What's a beau?" I asked.
"So I get grandpa was your, like, one true love and all, but it's been ten centuries-"
"Technically, it's been like a month and a half."
"One day doesn't count. So it's been a millennium. So maybe it's time you maybe moved on?"
"I'm not ready to move on."
"You can't still be hung over a guy who's been dead since the eleventh century." Katherine said.
"I can be and I am. Look, I know I'm probably never going to see him again, but I love him, and I don't want someone else. So I'm going to stay single. Not buts." Amity said firmly.