38

The next few days Amity went on as though that night hadn't happened. She knew she couldn't be that weak again, especially not in front of her siblings, and pretended she was fine. It must have worked since Elijah thought it was okay to go on a little trip without her.
"Amira, let's go shopping." Her eyes lightened. "I got Elijah's card and I do need new clothes. Soon these clothes aren't going to fit me."
"Sure." Amira smiled uncertainly.
"I'm fine, Amira. Really." Amity said softly. "It's hard, but I'm getting through it. I think letting it all out was all I needed."
"Are you sure?"
"Come on, granddaughter." She teased, with a smile, walking downstairs.

*first person*

Amira and I walked through the mall, arm in arm.
"Ice cream?" I asked as we passed an ice cream van and she grinned.
"Sure. Why not?" She replied and we walked over to it. We were stopped by Katherine speeding in front of us.
"Should you be doing that? In public? I mean, there are people around." I told her.
"Seriously?" She asked. "That's all you're going to say?"
"What else would you like me to say, Katherine?"
"An explanation." She said. "I followed this necklace of yours."
"And what did you find?" I smirked.
"What is it?" She asked.
"I'm confused. What's going on, exactly?" Amira asked.
"Amity gave me this pendant. Told me it'd lead me to something important she sent away with a spell." She waved the necklace in front of us. I plucked it from her hand.
"This pendant has been passed down my mother's side of the family. I may not get along with Esther or her sister, but it was made by a good ancestor. My great great grandmother, Rose. She infused it with a little bit of her magic, and some other ingredients. It affects each wearer differently."
"So I guess this means you don't owe me anything." She crossed her arms.
"Relax, you don't have to owe me anything either." I told her.
"Why did you give it to me?"
"This pendant should have gone to my aunt or at the very least, my sister Freya. But my aunt gave over the pendant to my mother. And after Freya died, I was the oldest daughter, so I got the pendant when I turned sixteen, along with great great grandma Rose's grimoire. When she first made the pendant, she gave it to a couple in her village who couldn't have a child. I saw you were in need of desperate pendant magic so I loaned it to you." I told her and she rolled her eyes.
"Here's something you never hear me say. Thank you." She said and I chuckled.
"Yeah, well, of course. So where are you headed now?"
"I don't know. Wherever. I'll find a place." She shrugged and turned to walk away.
"Why don't you come home with us? Maybe you could restore my hope in doppelgängers." I said.
"Not if your brother kills me first."
"He won't kill you." I told her. "And you know it."
"Why, because he loves me?" She scoffed.
"No, you already broke his heart. I mean you can mend it but he's hurt. He won't kill you because I did not try to help you only for you to die. Besides, I've pretty much got my siblings wrapped around my little finger these days."
"Because of Finn's death?"
"Yeah, and also because I have a lot to guilt them with and I'm the oldest, so what I say goes. It works most of the time."
"Why doesn't it work between Elijah and Klaus?"
"They're too close in age. Also I'm the oldest. There's only so much Elijah can do."
"You know what? Sure." Katherine said and we made our way back home.

It was an hour before Elijah realised Katherine was with us. He walked into the living room and stopped mid speech.
"Sister."
"Hey, Elijah." I smiled.
"What's happening?"
"Katherine is telling me all about you, back when she was human."
"Why is Katerina here? Haven't you learnt your lessons with doppelgängers?"
"Well Tatia was just fine. And so far I like Katerina."
"I want her gone." He said. I pouted, slightly.
"She's comforting. She reminds me of Tatia. They have a lot in common."
"Aside from their faces?"
"Yes, aside from their faces. And she's not plotting to kill my siblings so there's a plus side." I told him. "You know, she actually helped save Nik, so there is that."
"Nik hunted her for five hundred years. She wouldn't have saved him if she wasn't up to something."
"I seem to recall you hunted me for five hundred years, too. Don't just blame Klaus." Katherine remarked, before shying back from Elijah's gaze. I laughed.
"Besides, I didn't think you'd be back till next week."
"Oh? Where'd he go?"
"I can only assume Mystic Falls, since he left me behind."
"Oh?"
"So, how was it, Elijah? Kill anyone from the Mystic Falls gang?"
"No. Rebekah did, though. She killed Elena who had vampire blood in her system."
"I'm pleased to hear that. So when are you going to put a stake through her heart?"
"I'm not."
"I'm all for making her suffer, but soon she'll get used to being a vampire. She won't mind it as much. Better we kill her now while she's still suffering."
"Didn't you like her?"
"Yes well she aided in the death of my brother. She shot a stake through his stomach while Matt put a stake through his heart."
"So Elena's public enemy number one?"
"Elena, Matt and Stefan." I said. "The rest of them can be enemy number two."
"Huh." Katherine sighed.
"Amity."
"You said to mourn in a healthy way. There's nothing healthier than imagining their deaths knowing it will one day soon be a reality."