Chapter 20: The Answer

Note: This is a raw chapter, meaning it hasn't gone through any edits like the rest of the book has (I know, there were still some errors but that's why none of this is a final draft). Thank you for reading this far and I hope you enjoy this last chapter. The ending surprised me, but no matter how much I wanted it to go a certain way, the characters have spoken. I was so determined to write this as a standalone book, and now with this unexpected ending, it looks like I can't avoid a sequel. 

If you enjoyed, Mercy, I will be self-publishing the final  version, which will include added scenes and probably a chapter or two, through Kindle and other e-book platforms. Be sure to follow me to be notified of any announcements. If you haven't yet, please hit the vote button on your favorite chapters and leave comments. I'd love to hear what you think and appreciate all the support I can get! Now, onto the last chapter. Enjoy!

With Love,

Ashley

 Work called Brooklyn in the next day. She wished they hadn't because she was messing up order after order. Nothing could take her mind off of what had happened the previous night and she couldn't shake the feeling that maybe things were over between her and Father Mathias. That wasn't what hurt her the most, not as much as not wanting to him again. Things had shifted, and for the worst. Brooklyn couldn't help but to see her Priest in a different light. As hard as she tried, she couldn't keep him up on the pedestal she had put him on.

Gregory came in and Brooklyn wanted to talk to him. He was the only one who kind of knew what was happening and needed someone to talk to. To try a make sense of things. He was in for a short shift so they finished at the same time, but she couldn't bring herself to talk to him about it. After all, she already knew his opinion.

"What's going on?" he asked when they left work.

Brooklyn chewed on her bottom lip. "I had sex with him," she blurted.

"With Stephen?"

Brooklyn shook her head.

"With the priest? Wait, you hadn't had sex with him before?"

"No, and I found out last night that he was planning on staying celibate. So I pushed him and threatened to leave. We had sex and then he got all weird... I think I messed up."

Gregory face palmed. "Are you serious? What, were you planning on dating him forever with no intimacy?"

"We have been intimate, just not in that way."

Gregory snorted. "Gotta love Catholics and their convenient loop holes."

"Please don't talk about him like that."

Gregory stopped walking. "What do you want me to say Brook? I won't pat your back and tell you everything is gonna work out. Because it won't. He's a freaking priest that you don't even know is willing to leave the church for you."

"I know," she whispered.

Gregory sighed and ran his hand through his hair. "How about we go catch a movie. Keep you distracted for a bit. I didn't mean to be so harsh."

"No, no, I appreciate it. You're right." Brooklyn's bottom lip quivered.

"Still doesn't help you at the moment. I can't give you false consolation but I can keep you distracted until I have to go home." Gregory put his arm around Brooklyn's shoulder and she melted into him, welcoming his warmth. And grateful Father Mathias made her seek out a new friend. Page would have never been so supportive.

When Gregory needed to go home, Brooklyn went back to the church. She stood across the street, staring at it. The doors had been propped open and she could make out Deacon Thomas' silhouette against the church's soft lighting. Father Mathias was probably in the confessional and Brooklyn wondered if it would be safe to go with the deacon around. She decided to just go in and act like nothing is wrong. Surely, that would prove that there was nothing going on.