Chapter 11: Heaven's Residue

"Wake up, my child," whispered Father Mathias.

Brooklyn's eye fluttered open. She sat up in a panic when she noted the weak sunlight. "Oh my God! What time is it?"

Father Mathias chuckled. "Do not worry, it's still very early. And need I remind you about using the Father's name in vain?"

"I'm sorry, Father."

He pulled Brooklyn into his arms and sighed. "How I wish we didn't have to rush."

"Me too."

They reluctantly got up and got dressed. Brooklyn moved carefully. Never had she felt such soreness as she did then. Every muscle that had tasted the priest's wrath screamed with each movement. Strangely, the rest of her body hurt as well; the way it did after an intense day at the gym. It took her a little longer than usual to pull up her pants and she felt shy when she noticed the pleasure Father Mathias took in her struggle.

"Go sit in the confessional," he said once she was dressed. "I will open the church doors soon and we can talk for a bit, then you can leave. I doubt anyone is watching to see if you ever came in in the first place," he said with a smile.

"Yes, Father." Brooklyn went to wait for him. While she sat in the booth, she considered taking the opportunity to tell him about Stephen. She took a deep breath when Father Mathias entered his side of the confessional. "Father?"

"Yes, child."

Brooklyn was silent while she tried to find her words. Then she decided that maybe she needed to sort her feelings out before risking her relationship with her Priest. "Thank you. For last night. It was, amazing," she said instead.

"And thank you." Father Mathias touched the grate with his fingertips and Brooklyn did the same.

Redness stained her cheeks when she thought of the previous night. Something special had been touched within her, and she had a suspicion that whatever it was, belonged to the priest. Brooklyn couldn't imagine anyone else reaching that thing that resided in the depths of her soul. She wondered if she could ever find the ecstasy she had experienced with anyone else. With Stephen?

"Father?" she whispered.

"Yes?"

"If you and I decide to... make things, official, what will that mean for me? Will we be like, boyfriend and girlfriend?" Brooklyn felt silly asking such a question.

"That is not an easy question to answer," Father Mathias said sadly.

Brooklyn nodded. She wasn't surprised, she knew it was a difficult question to answer. "Maybe it's time for me to go now. I heard someone come in."

He nodded. "Until next time, my child."

She went home and sat on the sofa with a wince, reminding her of the magical night she had had with the priest. Brooklyn got up to check her bottom in the mirror. He had never marked her so beautifully before. If she looked closely enough, she could make out the spots where Rapture left a print of its detailed pattern on her skin. She traced it with her fingertips and shuddered from the feeling of her soft touch on her ravaged skin.

Biting her lip, Brooklyn opened the camera on her phone. She wanted these marks to last forever and pictures would ensure that. It took a few tries before she was satisfied with a couple good photos. She stared at her phone, wanting to observe every detail and then tried to take more pictures from a different angle. Finally, she was happy with the documentation of Father Mathias' handiwork.

The sofa beckoned her and she went to lie down under her duvet. Brooklyn wished she could stay there forever, basking in the aftermath. She felt caught between reality and an intoxicating place in her mind that had been unlocked. There was a quiet buzz in her ears, her breath echoed in her head and every movement made the world sway as if it was trying to lull her to sleep.