Chapter 9: A Noticeable Change

Brooklyn couldn't sleep. She had barely slept since seeing him on Monday and now it was the night before their next meeting. Her hand wandered as she laid on her sofa, wide awake. She let it rest on top of her panties. Her fingers twitched, but she made sure not to rub herself. Brooklyn truly wanted to please him. No matter how difficult it would be. With a groan she got up, deciding it was safer out of bed. I guess I'm going for a run, she thought. The ache between her legs was impossible to ignore as she got dressed and went for a light jog.

Despite her misery, she felt good being up so early, jogging with others who had their life together. Maybe one day, she'd be like them. Brooklyn smiled and picked up her pace. The cool morning air felt good on her face and reddened her cheeks. Fall was just around the corner, she noted. By the time she finished her loop, the ache had subsided to a bearable pulse.

Work was like pulling off her finger nails; the rush of orders didn't numb her mind into distraction as much as it usually did. That is, until Stephen came in. Gregory wagged his eyebrows at her and she threw a forgotten cap from a carton at him.

"Americano for..." her voice trailed off when he reached for his cup.

"How are you today," he looked at her name tag, "Brooklyn. That's a nice name. Suits you."

"Uh, um, th-thank you." Brooklyn stared at him wondering why he had said anything to her at all. He barely paid attention to anyone. "Oh! I'm fine thanks. How are you? Busy I bet. So busy." She laughed nervously.

Stephen smirked. "You could say that. See you later."

Brooklyn sagged against the counter when he left.

"Ummm, what was that?! Did Stephen just talk to you?!"

"Yes. But why?"

Gergory pulled her off to the side. "Can I be honest with you? Friend to friend, even though we're new friends?"

"Of course."

"You were kind of a mess. Like, you had it written all over your face. But something's been changing. Look at you." He held up a stainless steel cup before realizing it didn't offer a clear reflection. "Never mind. What I'm trying to say is, you look great. Healthy. Happy. I don't get that leave me a lone vibe from you anymore. Don't get me wrong, you have been a little moody these last few days but it's normal moody, not like grrr moody."

Brooklyn laughed. "I get it. And, thank you. That means a lot to me. I've been trying really hard to turn things around."

"Well it's working. Now we need to get working before the elite throw their Manolos and Gucci bags at us."

Brooklyn was early for her meeting with her priest and sat on the steps, eagerly watching the clock. When it was eight fifty-nine she entered the church and hesitantly headed for the rectory.

The small table by the window beckoned her and she went to it, to light the candle and pray. She prayed that he would finally take her tonight, then amended her plea that she would have the patience needed to wait for whenever he deemed it time for her to come.

She heard him enter and instinct told her to remain as she was. His footsteps drew closer and stopped right behind her. He showered her hair with feather-light touches. Brooklyn felt ridiculous over her body's visceral response to such an innocent touch.

"Good evening, my child."

"Good evening, Father."

"Are you done praying?"