Chapter 7: She Prayed

Trepidation filled Brooklyn the following morning. The thought of ignoring Page made her sick. A few days would have been difficult but doable. Sometimes, but rarely, Page would go three or four days without calling or texting her. Even then, that usually coincided with a trip or a luxury retreat. But two weeks? There was no way she could keep the distance without risking Page's wrath. The phone rang and Brooklyn jumped. It was work. She had never been so happy to get called in and got ready quickly, showing up a half hour before she was due to start.

Gregory was behind the counter taking orders. He would make a good friend, Brooklyn thought. When her shift started, she gave Gregory a bigger smile than usual.

"Someone is in a good mood," he commented.

Brooklyn shrugged. "I guess I am." Not really.

As always, the cafe was insanely busy and Brooklyn wondered how she managed to keep track of all the never ending orders. When it was time for her break, she collapsed in the staff room and put her feet up on a chair. Gregory came in shortly after to grab his things.

"Done for the day?" asked Brooklyn.

"Yes, thank god!"

"Hey, I was wondering if you wanted to hang out sometime." Brooklyn decided to just go for it and tried to pretend like her face wasn't turning red.

"You do know I don't date women, right?"

Brooklyn laughed. "I know you don't. As friends you weirdo."

"Okay then, sure. Why not?" he said with a smile. "I'm free tomorrow."

"Cool, I'm always free. Unless they call me in." They exchanged numbers and Brooklyn couldn't wait to tell Father Mathias the good news.

The rest of the day went by too quickly and it wasn't long until Brooklyn was back at home. Alone. Fighting that all too familiar itch. Which was worse now that she knew she couldn't scratch it. The longer she sat the there, the more she realized her craving wasn't for the drugs and alcohol. It was for Page. Page made her feel bad, but satisfied something else.

Brooklyn sat back heavily on the sofa. Father Mathias was right. It was moments like these, where she felt aimless, that Page helped her. Her friend gave her things to do and constantly awarded her with praise when she had done well; such as looking good in a dress or impressing her snobby friends. It was sad, and a little pathetic, Brooklyn thought, how much she needed Page.

"I need to stay busy," she said to herself. She looked around her tiny room. No wonder why Page managed to puppet her so easily. As horrible as Page was, she rescued Brooklyn from her stagnant life. "I'll go running? Then I can order in aaaaand watch something. Then I can go to bed early and that's that. And I'm talking to myself." Brooklyn sighed and went to dig up her runners and slipped into a pair of shorts and a t-shirt.

On her way out, the collection of empty liquor bottles caught her attention. There were at least three, half empty bottles under her coffee table. It hurt when she took them and dumped the remaining contents down her bathroom sink, but it also felt good. Brooklyn put all of the empty bottles in grocery bags and carried them down to the her apartment building's garbage bin. Usually she would take them to get refunded but she wanted to get rid of them then and there.

The run was punishing, but helped get rid of that craving that only Page and alcohol seemed to know how to satisfy. After, Brooklyn rewarded herself with Chinese food and a rom-com when she got home.

It was eight p.m. when the movie finished. Brooklyn was proud of herself for going a day Page, drugs, and alcohol free. It was liberating. Of course the thought of doing it again tomorrow was daunting. But, that was a worry for tomorrow.