Chapter 17: One. Last. Time.

After Father Mathias' admission of love, Brooklyn couldn't justify seeing Stephen and hated how much she disliked the idea of cutting him off. They had texted over the past week, but he hadn't pushed to see her and she knew it was because one more date could lead to something she wanted and didn't want to happen. His thoughtfulness made her like him that much more.

Nothing to could stop her from seeing him at work. The polite texts she could handle, but seeing him, was a whole other story. And they exchanged longing looks whenever he went in. Of course Gregory noticed and he shook his head every time.

Stephen: Let's do something tonight.

He texted shortly after a coffee break.

Brooklyn: I can't.

Stephen: Why not?

Brooklyn: Things got more complicated between me and him.

Stephen: I see...

Brooklyn: I need space.

And time.

Biting her lip, she waited for his reply.

I'm sorry.

Stephen: Sounds like you've made a choice.

Brooklyn: I haven't. I just don't feel good about the back and forth.

Stephen: I respect that. Well, good luck. 

I guess.

Brooklyn felt terrible when Stephen didn't go to the cafe the next day. Or the following day. She darkly mused that that was probably why most companies frowned upon employees dating customers.

Monday finally came and she went to her Priest, floating. She waited for him, naked and praying, all of her doubts gone. At least for the moment.

"I have a gift for you. Stand up and turn," he said when he came in.

Brooklyn got up and her eyes were drawn to the little box wrapped in shiny, silver gift paper. He handed it to her.

"You may open it," he said, clearly pleased that she had waited for his permission.

Brooklyn carefully unwrapped the box and opened it. "Rosary beads?"

"Not just any. These were custom made. Look at the bead above the cross."

The bead he was referring to was one of two larger ones. She looked at it closely and noticed something engraved in the middle of it.

"It's the triskelion, the symbol for BDSM. This rosary is also reinforced so that I can do something like... this..." He took the beads out of the box and quickly wrapped them around her neck and squeezed.

Brooklyn gasped for air and he loosened his grip.

"Or this..." He turned her around and hit her backside once, earning himself a sweet yelp from Brooklyn. "Stings, doesn't it?" he said, rubbing the spot he had hit.

He handed the rosary beads back to her and she took them with renewed interest. "Thank you, Father."

"I suspect you're skin will grow to love them very much," he said with subtle promise.

Brooklyn smiled and looked down shyly.

Father Mathias chuckled. "You've come all this way and you're still blushing." He took the beads back and hung them around her neck. "I want you to always wear them."