Chapter 12: Little Black Dress

Work called Brooklyn in the following day. Her newfound zest was gone. The world felt as if it was ending. It was hard for Brooklyn to be all right with going from such an unbelievable high to this. The other night, she had tasted heaven. Closing her eyes, she replayed the moment Father Mathias had made her come with Rapture. It still somewhat unsettled her, but at the same time, she couldn't compare it to anything, but magic.

She checked the time and sighed. There was no more time for hiding away in bed, and she got up with a grunt. Everything seemed more difficult than usual. Brushing her teeth. Brushing her hair. Pulling her clothes on. All Brooklyn wanted to do was sleep and hit pause until she could feel that feeling from the other night again.

Brooklyn dragged her feet on her way into work.

"Hey, you. What's going on?" asked Gregory.

Brooklyn looked at him and the concern in his eyes almost made her cry. Everything had been going so perfectly and in one day, she felt worse than before she had met Father Mathias. An overwhelming sense of uncertainty plagued her.

"Earth to Brooklyn."

She shook her head. "Things have been a little rough lately."

"Do you want to talk about it?"

Brooklyn shook her head. How does one explain their post-bliss morose with a priest? "I'll shake it off."

"Well, my boyfriend and I host a dinner once a month. You have to be queer, but whatever. I figured you'd might like to come. And now I think you really should come. Kyle is an amazing cook. I'm telling you now that you'd be missing out if you said no," said Gregory.

"I don't know," said Brooklyn with a sigh.

"Oh come on, you're starting to give off that failed emo vibe again."

Brooklyn smiled sadly. "Okay," she said, rolling her eyes.

"Great!"

"Gregory? Thank you for thinking of me."

"Oh, please, anytime. And a word of advice," there was a twinkle in his eye, "friends go on more than just one friend date."

"Noted," laughed Brooklyn.

"So it's tomorrow at five sharp. There's like a little social with hors d'oeuvres and cocktails. Then we sit for dinner at six. Oh, and it's formal." Gregory's eyebrows shot up.

"Five and formal. Got it."

"Do you even know what formal is?"

Brooklyn gave him a warning look.

"Oh, shift is done. Buh-bye!"

Stephen came in shortly after. "How's my favorite barrista?"

"Shhh," Brooklyn said with a blush.

Stephen chuckled.

"So are you going to tell me what you have planned fro Saturday?" Brooklyn asked quietly. Maybe having something to look forward to would ease her heavy heart.

"Then it wouldn't be a surprise." he said, leaving with his cup of coffee.

***

Since Page never took the clothes, Brooklyn dug through them to see if there was something she could work with. Brooklyn sat back on her heels when she pulled out the 'little black dress,' Page had insisted she get. It was probably the only thing she had ever purchased for Brooklyn, saying that every woman needed one. It hadn't been for an event or a party, it had been for Brooklyn to have. A true gift, one that she refused to sell when she was still selling the things Page had bought for her.