Chapter 16: Love

Gregory's advice bounced back and forth in Brooklyn's head for the rest of the week. The need to make a decision sat so heavily on her chest that she didn't even feel the usual joy she felt when accomplishing her weekly tasks. All they did was remind her of her predicament and what she should do. Of course when it came time to see her Priest, all of the doubt and worry vanished and all she could think about was kneeling at his feet.

Brooklyn felt anxious when she arrived at church. This would be the first time she would wait for Father Mathias naked. She took a deep breath and went to his room. With trembling hands, she removed her clothes and folded them, stacking them on the sofa, then went to light the candle and kneel at the table. The past week had been lonely. Aside from a couple shifts at works and her task to volunteer at the soup kitchen, she stayed at home. Avoiding Stephen. Thinking. And waiting.

She couldn't concentrate on praying. All she could think of was how Father Mathias would see her when he came into the room. Brooklyn felt ashamed for not praying but it couldn't be helped. When the priest entered, he took a sharp intake of breath.

"Oh, my child," he groaned.

"Good evening, Father," greeted Brooklyn, keeping her eyes closed.

The priest went to her and placed a hand on her shoulder. "Forgive me. You may not understand why I'm asking for your forgiveness... My child, I see you as mine already." He paused, clearly needing to say more but unsure of how or whether or not he should say it. "One thing I haven't spoken to you about is having, relations, with others. I, cannot bear the idea of you being with another."

Brooklyn froze. Did he know about Stephen.

"Look at me."

Brooklyn looked up at him, her eyes wide with fear. She couldn't bear the thought of losing him, not without knowing where things could go.

There wasn't a single trace of anger, just, dare she believe it, pure love.

"You, are mine. I will not collar you now, not until I feel you have been sufficiently trained and I am certain you have a full understanding of the commitment. But my God, child, you are mine."

Brooklyn wanted to turn and hug his leg and declare her devotion, but she couldn't with all the uncertainty. "Yes, Father," was all she could muster in the moment.

Father Mathias urged her up to her feet. "Is something wrong, child?"

Brooklyn shook her head.

He didn't seem convinced. "Brooklyn?"

Her head snapped up. She couldn't remember the last time, if ever, he had called her by her given name. "Yes, Father," she whispered.

"You know I do not tolerate lies."

Her breaths became short and irregular with fear. How could she explain to him what bothered her? "There is something. But, I'm not ready to talk about it." She closed her eyes and hoped he wouldn't push the subject.

He nodded. "Of course. All I ask is for absolute honesty. Even if it means asking to put it off until later."

Brooklyn nodded. "Yes, Father. I'm sorry."

"Think nothing of it." He waved his hand to dismiss the mistake. "Now," he said, making her look back at him. "I believe you are without marks," he growled. His eyes lit up with his hunger to mark her and for the sounds of her cries. He led her to the bed and bent her over it so that her sex was exposed to him. "Child, what I crave tonight will feel very much like a punishment, but know that it is the complete opposite."