22.

"Don't you think he's having an affair? Seeing that he stays out late every night and you are not always at home too." I tried my best to hide my glare but i couldn't.

Iman came to visit me with her two year old son and was talking trash about my husband. It's been almost five years now into our marriage. Our life has been a bit different cause we were both always busy. I was always traveling round the world and so was he as he had been promoted to the president of the company.

For the past few months, he has been distant with me. He hardly calls and claims to be busy. He even forgot about my birthday last month (he was always the first to wish me a happy birthday).

We see each other once in every two weeks. And it was killing me that we were both very busy. My TV show was going world wide, i've received alot of awards for my shows and many really appreciate it.

Ali and i returned a week ago from each other's trip. And within this week, it seemed like he was avoiding me. He leaves early for office and comes back late.

We hardly see each other nor did we even talk face to face. Iman is suggesting that he might be cheating on me since it was the latest trends some husbands were into now.

"Don't be silly." I hissed.

She rolled her eyes "You're too innocent. The signs are there. You both hardly talk now, you behave like old couples."

I ignored her and rocked Faisal, her baby, to sleep.

"You should talk to him. If you guys keep going like this, i fear what might happen in the future."

My phone rang and i quickly picked it up, sighing in relief.

"Assalamu alaikum Dad!"

"Wa alaikumus salaam! How is my princess doing?"

"I'm fine, Dad. And you?"

"I'm good. I'm having a wonderful time in Dubai."

I chuckled "I knew you would love it."

"I feel like staying here all my life. I might do that you know, if not that i can't leave the house."

I shook my head "Dad, you deserve to be happy. Do whatever you want. We will all support you."

He laughed "That's my girl. I gotta go, my princess. This scumbag is really getting on my nerve."

Before i could ask what was going on, he already hung up.

I shook my head laughing.

"What is it?"

"It's Dad, i think that guy he told me from last time is still disturbing him."

She shrugged "If it was me, he would have been ten feet deep down the ground. I got no time for nonsense."

I rolled my eyes "I can see that written boldly on your forehead."

After dinner, Iman retreated to the guest room together with Faisal while i stayed up in the living room waiting for Ali.

I was starting to doze off when the front door opened. I checked the time and it was past ten, he wasn't as late as the last few days.

He tensed when he saw me "Oh! I thought you would have slept by now."

I stared at him for some seconds before replying "I will microwave your dinner."

"I've eaten."

"I made your favorite."

"I'm fine, really." He avoided my eyes and started walking past me, i blocked his way.

"What's going on, Ali?"

He looked down "Nothing. I'm really tired. We will talk tomorrow inshaa Allah!"

I stared at him in shock as he walked past me.

I didn't get enough sleep the next morning, I was very worried about Ali and what Iman said was starting to get to me.

After reading Fajr Salat, i tried to talk to him but he refused again saying he was going back to sleep. I reluctantly fell asleep on the floor, by the time i woke up in the morning, he was already gone.

"Did you talk to him?" Iman asked when we were having breakfast.

I shook my head 'no'.

"When are you going to talk to him?" She almost whined.

I shrugged "He left early purposely."

"I think he's feeling guilty about something."

I sighed and rubbed my sleepy eyes. I really wanted all this to end. I wanted us to be 'us' once more. I hated that he was keeping something away from me.

...........

Later in the evening, i was dressed in a navy blue Abayah and a white hijab.  Iman succeeded in talking me into visiting Ali at his office.

"I can do this." I told myself.

"Of course you can." Iman rolled her eyes.

I sighed "So what's the plan? I just barge in there and be like 'are you cheating on me?' or i should start crying and create a scene."

Iman chuckled "Just confront him. Take lunch to him and talk."

I nodded, picked my white chain bag and the leather bag which was packaged with snacks.

I kissed Faisal on his nose "See you soon."

"See ya. Get going already." She used her free hand to wave me away and i shook my head.

I got into my white Mercedes Benz and drove away. His office wasn't very far away from the house. While driving, i kept thinking about the past few years. Na'ima got married last year and moved to Egypt. Norah's baby is five years old now.

Noor is still not married, he moved out of the house last month into the pent house. Habib finally settled down two years ago.

I looked up at the huge skyscraper in front of me and i sighed. The last time i came here was seven months ago, to accompany Ali to an office event. After parking, i got off the car and walked towards the entrance.

"Welcome Ma'am!" I nodded at the doorman and walked in.

Getting up to his office, i knocked on the door and there was a faint response but i still went in.

I spotted him immediately, sitting on his chair, his head buried on the desk.   I silently took a seat and set the leather bag on the desk.

His head snapped up and his eyes widened when they met mine.

"I...i didn't realise it's you. Why are you here? Did something happen at home?"

I smiled "I brought you lunch. You left early before i woke up, so i decided to make it up to you by bringing some snacks and having some alone time with you."

He looked down "I...you shouldn't have stressed yourself. I've already taken lunch."

"That's not what your secretary told me. She said you haven't left your office since morning. What is going on with you, Ali?"

He rubbed his face, looking at him, i realised that maybe all this wasn't easy for him too. His eyes was a bit swollen and his hair looked unkempt.

"By pushing me away, it's not going to solve anything. We are supposed to trust each other, that's what a good marriage is about."

I kept staring into his eyes even though he was avoiding mine "We've been falling apart this past months. I need you to talk to me, i need to know if i did something wrong. At least i could change."

He shook his head "I'm sorry but it's all my fault. You did nothing wrong."