7.

"Come take your seat." Dad said softly.

Norah took my hand in hers as we made our way to take a seat.

"Assalamu alaikum!" I greeted shyly as soon as i was seated.

"Wa alaikumus salaam!" Three male voice answered.

One was Uncle's, then Habib's and the last one i couldn't remember whom it belonged to.

"Ava, this young man, Ali, has come to ask for your hand only if you agree." My Dad's voice was deep and tensed.

Ali

Ali

Ali

"Ali..." I finally whispered.

"Ali, Iman's cousin." Norah whispered to me and i bit back a gasp.

"Why don't you both go and talk now before dinner? Norah, stay with them." Dad said.

"Why don't i get to go with her?" Noor whined and a chuckle left my mouth.

"What? Are you five? Why are you behaving like a kid?" Norah teased and i covered my mouth trying to stop the fit of giggles that threatened to escape.

"Kids, behave." Dad's voice came out as if he too was trying to control his laugh.

"This is not fair." Whined the idiot that's about to take Dad's company in a few months.

"Life ain't always fair." Habib said in what sounded like a strained voice.

"Let's go then." Norah stood up, dragging me up with her.

When we got to the guest's living room, we took a seat, with Norah beside me.

"Why don't you say something then?" Norah muttered after a whole minute of silence.

"Why?" The word came out like a whisper.

"What?" Came his surprised voice.

"Why did you come here?" I said a little loudly.

"Hmmm... to come seek for your hand." He said in a 'duh' tone.

I sighed "I know but why?"

I thought he wasn't going to give a reply but the next words he said made my heart leap in joy.

"Because you're beautiful, in fact the most beautiful woman i've ever seen. And that is the least reason, Ava."

I shook my head "But I am blind, i've been for a very long time now."

His reply came quickly "I don't care."

I sighed "Don't you understand, Ali. I will be a liability to you, you will be embarrassed to call me your wife."

"Never. You will never be a liability to me, instead you would be the best thing that's ever happened to me."

I shook my head, wondering what was wrong with him.

After a deep thought "Are you being forced into this? Did my Dad promise you wealth?"

"SubhanAllah! By Allah! I came here of my own will. No one is forcing me into this." He sounded offended.

"I'm sorry. It's just that no one has ever come for me and you being here... i'm just surprised."

"Don't be. I promise that i am here for you and you alone. I know you might think i'm crazy but the truth is that i fell for you the first time i laid my eyes on you. I don't know what happened... but i felt something towards you, something great and huge and i just hope that you will give me the chance to prove myself."

My mouth hung open in surprise and shock. That was something i definitely didn't expect.

"Cat caught your tongue." Norah whispered enthusiastically.

At that moment, i had never wished for my eyes that much so that i could glare at her.

Just kidding, there were many moments i wished i could see.

.........

Three weeks later, i was wed to Ali and on my way to Boston to my new home. My only regret of this marriage was that he lived a million miles away from my family and friends.

After that day that we had talked, today is the second time that we are, sitted besides each other. We didn't see each other again till this day.

As the plane starts taking off, i scooted closer to my husband.

"Are you afraid of heights?" His cool voice sounded from beside me.

I nodded "I hate being in the air." I confessed bitterly. The first time i had been on a plane was when Dad and i went to New York for my surgery, i was ten. I hated it afterwards.

"You have nothing to be afraid of when you're with me." His voice was so soft and real.

"Do you want to hear a joke?"

I nodded resting my head on the headrest.

"One day i went to a Starbucks to get coffee, i woke up late and was in a haste to get to work...when i bumped into an old friend. I was so shocked seeing him there, you know why?"

I shook my head "Why?"

He chuckled softly "Back in high school, he had told me to slap him if i ever see him in a Starbucks."

I gasped "But why?"

"He hates coffee and therefore hates Starbucks. Whenever i ask him to escort me there, he would look at me in a way that would make me regret why i even asked him in the first place."

I laughed softly "What happened afterwards?"

"I smiled at him and said 'hey brother', then i delivered a dirty slap to him."

I couldn't hold back my laughter, i clamped my mouth shut but it didn't help a bit.

Ali joined me "People looked at us in shock while i bit back a laughter."

"What did he do?"

He chuckled "Nothing, the idiot only smiled and he bought us both coffee. We exchanged numbers and became close friends after then."

I smiled sheepishly "Poor thing. But...why did you do it? Why not forget the past and just get along?"

He sighed "I wanted to do that but i wanted to remind him of his promise. But i have no regrets of doing that."

I chuckled.

"And here we go, we've taken off. I told you you have nothing to be afraid of."

I smiled when it finally clicked, he was trying to distract me and he definitely succeeded.

"Thank you."

"You're welcome."

My eyelids were heavy, i closed my eyes and drifted to la la land.

Assalamu alaikum! Another update. Sorry it came late. Wish u all a great day.