Prologue

On a cold winter evening in a small cottage near the riverside, a sweet little girl -- known for being the daughter of a young lady from a classic tale -- was having dinner with her parents. Her name was Scarlet Wood.

Scarlet is the lovely daughter of Mrs. Redella Wood, also known as Little Red Riding Hood, and Mr. Kurt Wood, the woodcutter's son who saved Little Red Riding Hood's life years ago. But this story isn't about Scarlet or any human being but her pet cat, Winter.

Little Scarlet Wood has a pet cat named Winter, whose fur is as white as snow and whose nose is as pink as a newborn baby's cheek. Winter is a loyal cat who enjoys being with her mistress and who also promises to protect her masters from the very evil that attacked Little Red Riding Hood's grandmother -- the wolf.

Since a long time ago, the townspeople have been avoiding the other side of the forest where the pack of wolves lived. If any wolf were to ever step onto human territory, the people would have no hesitation in killing it. In other words: wolves were never welcomed.

"Scarlet dear," Mr. Wood said to Little Scarlet, "May you pass the salt?"

"Sure, papa," Scarlet replied pleasantly, handing her father the bottle of crystal seasoning.

Scarlet is eight years old and is very well-mannered. She has short bronze hair like her father's and beautiful blue eyes like her mother's. And just like her mother long ago, she wore a red hood. Most people say she might be the next 'Little Red Riding Hood.'

While the happy family ate their dinner, the town's bell rang three times.

"Wolves!" Mr. Wood gasped as he stood up from his chair.

"And there are three of them." Mrs. Wood added. Then, she suddenly looked at Scarlet and said, "Go to your room and hide, sweetie."

"Yes, mama," Scarlet replied, quickly heading to her room with her cat, Winter, following her.

Scarlet was already on the way to her room to hide, and Mr. Wood dashed out with his father's old sturdy ax.

"Be careful, dear," Mrs. Wood said as her husband went off with the hunt.

Upstairs in Scarlet's room, Scarlet was covering herself with her blanket.

Winter approached her, purring as she tried to calm her mistress.

With her eyes looking low, Scarlet said to Winter, "Oh, Winter, I wonder why whenever the town's bell rings, papa has to go out."

Your father wants to protect you, Scarlet. Winter thought as she looked at Scarlet hiding under the sheets.

"Hm..." Scarlet soon thought of something, "Winter?"

"Meow?"

"Do you think that there are good wolves out there? I mean: wolves are kind of like dogs, right? And dogs are sweet. So maybe we can be friends with them."

"MEOW!?"

No way! Winter thought abruptly. She jumped off the bed of Scarlet and landed on the sturdy wooden floor. No way that I'll be friends with a wolf! Never! Yuck!

"Oh, Winter," Scarlet smiled as if she understood Winter's reaction.

"Don't be like that. It was a maybe. I'm not saying that you should be friends with a wolf."

"Meow," Winter meowed with a pout as she looked away.

"Haha." And Scarlet laughed. "Winter, I believe that someday you'll soon eat your words."

After that, Winter thought of what her mistress said and soon wondered if it might come true.