Fifteen

This is the second chapter posted today, make sure to read chapter 14 first!

Days past, ethan and alyssa were able to find and trade with a few humans, 4 new rabbits in our barn. They asso scored another solar panel, all but three bottles of our bug spray given away. Humans needed it more, for no bugs dared land on a zombie, which i was glad for.

We were all gathered in the clearing with picnic tables, all of the rectangular ones pulled together so everyone could fit in once place. Freya raised her wine, everyone else raising their own glass.

“To trading!” she said. Everyone cheered along with her, cups clanking and everyone sipping at their drinks. I personally had lemonade, for the taste of wine and everything did not appeal to me.

The whole night was filled with stories, many of when there were no zombies. It was nice, the calm black night shining around us, the glow of the soft lanterns the only light disrupting the polka dotted sky.

“I am glad we don’t have cities anymore” one man said. Everyone seemed to nod in agreement, all headed looking to the twinkling sky.

“Yes, the lack of lights makes the sky so beautiful. The lack of pollution is appreciated for sure” a woman commented. Everyone once again nodded. We drank more, alyssa drunk beside me, ethan sleep on the table. I laughed, standing up and picking up alyssa, who gave a giggle in my arms.

As i walked though, she seemed to calm down.

“Guess what, ethan proposed to me” she said, smiling as i set her at her doorstep, giving me the key to open her door. My eyes widened slightly at the news, but for some reason i expected it. “We are going to marry in a week, or at least say we are married” she said, leading me into her house. Nalla was already asleep, so getting alyssa tucked in was difficult.

“I am glad for you” i said, pushing her large galaxy blanket to her chin. She nodded, her eyes drooping. Then she fell asleep, making me smile down at her. Life was actually a lot more peaceful here then it ever was on my farm.

I walked to Nalla’s room, kissing her gently on the head and leaving the house silently. Then i walked back to my own cabin, sniffing the air. Chastial was there already, so when i pushed open the unlocked door i was unconcerned. I locked it, walking to the room and glancing at him. He was asleep, and was completely peaceful, which made me smile softly.

I climbed into my own bed, tucking the blankets close to me, then quickly drifting to sleep.
I woke up the smell of smoke, my head shoot up, my body quickly standing next to chastial. We were both fully alert as we ran out of the house at full speed. A house near the gates was one fire, my eyes widening.

“Alyssa, nalla” i whispered. I pushed my feet harder into the ground, glancing at the nightmares around with small glares. Nalla was in ethan’s arms, tears streaming down her face, her eyes puffy.

“Alwissa” she said, choking on a sob as she pointed to the burning cabin. My vision went red, quickly kicking down the burning door, ignoring the smoke that surrounded me. I burst into her room, staring at the large wood that lay over her body.

I growled, throwing off the large piece of wood with ease, staring at her mangled body, tears running down my face. I knelt down beside her, my hand shaky as i gently touched her neck.

“No… no no no no no” i whispered, picking up her limp body, full on sobbing. She was dead. I could not stop the tears, all i could do was sit there, her burned body in my shaking arms. No. i shot to my feet, running outside, setting her body in the grass with a loud growl, my face scanning the faces around. “Who did this” i asked, my fists clenched at my sides.