One- Believer

Story dedicated to https://my.w.tt/TDed4b87fR aka Alyssa in my story aka sloth with books

Alyssa threw a piece of popcorn at me, her sister giggling as it landed in my hair. I sighed, brushing it away and continuing to stare intently at the tv. Why did they always have to annoy me when I was trying to focus? The reporter was breathlessly yelling about the zombies that have overrun so many cities. For obvious reasons, I doubted it.

"It turned out that the zombie virus started in a hospital, the medicine made there was tainted with something!" I blinked. That story was definitely more believable than just saying, 'oh, there are zombies'. I wonder who messed that up.

Another piece of popcorn landed in my hair.

"What?" I asked, my tone irritated. She laughed, throwing a handful of popcorn into her mouth as she ignored my annoyance. I rolled my eyes, focusing back on the tv.

"Canada has been over run, only 1000 humans are said to still be alive there!" The reporter yelled, glancing at the card in her hands. She turned around, letting out a scream as a zombie tackled her, the sound of loud gunshots echoing through the tv before the camera shut off. It was pretty perdictable, she was near zombies so what did she think was going to happen?

Alyssa's chewing stopped, popcorn falling from her hand. I gulped, staggering to my feet, hand resting on the couch to support my weight. I doubted it was real. It couldn't be, right?

I continued to convince myself that there was only a slim possibility that this was actually happening. My coping methods were not going too well though. The 'woosah' technique was a failer and the breathing didn't work as I rushed to the front door. Why was I panicing about this? Was I so gullable to believe something like zombies?

I scoffed as I twisted the handle, leaning my shoulder into the door and peering outside and towards the nearest city. The city I had only been to a few times and hated.

We lived on a farm with both chickens and cows as well as vegetables. We were orphans, but Alyssa and I were old enough to take care of Nalla and raise crops and animals. The current technologyqas a big help. My eyes refocused on the tall building of the city in the distance. I spotted smoke, the blackness of it making me shudder. The city was burning.

My 'calmness' from earlier was quickly fading as reality became clearing. This was really happening, wasn't it? Unless it was something like 9/11, then there had to be zombies terrizing the streets.

"Alyssa, check your phone, see what military base is closest to us, there has to be some kind of information up before the wifi dies.. We need to leave, and fast. Those places prepare for these kinds of things, right?" I whispered. We had to leave before whatever creatures lurking in the city made it here. I shut the front door, locking it.

I pulled open a closet next to the door, standing on my tippy toes to grab the three duffel bags on the top shelf. Running around the house was tiring, but I first stopped in Nalla's room, grabbing a few outfits of hers as well as a blanket and her favorite stuffed animal.

I was reluctant to move on, but left her room, knowing I would never see it again. Soon enough I had gone through all of our rooms gathering our clothes and toothbrushes. If we wanted to leave, we had to be prepared.

"One is about 60 miles away, called Destiny," she shouted rather loudly even though I had returned to the living room. I nodded knowing she couldn't see me because her eyes were glued to her phone. "We can take your truck, right? It should be filled with gas."

"Yeah, make sure you grab rusty and his food and all the cat stuff!" I called back, walking into the garage with a sigh. Rusty was our cat, and I couldn't bring myself to get rid of him when we had already lost Maggy.