Chapter 75: Hero vs Protector

WARNING: There is mild rape, some violence and use of words in this chapter! So be warned!  

Roxanne's Pov:

I couldn't believe this was happening. It was like a nightmare and if matters weren't already worse enough being surrounded by Steve and his creeps, we had no access to our clothes because two of Steve's goons were practically dangling our things in front of us. Mal was without his walkie to call for backup and unless I was mistaken Steve and his freaks don't use walkies, I recall seeing them track each through their phones, but there Steve was holding a walkie in his hand and if I had to guess it was Mal's. 

He must have picked Mal's pocket and took it while we were sleeping for his own amusement just to make Mal sweat and look vulnerable so that he was unable to call for backup while trying to keep Steve's creeps off of me. I was freaking out with my face buried into Mal's backside out of panicked-fear while trying to keep the bed sheets secured around me with one hand to stay covered as I clutched Mal's waist under the blankets with the other one like he was my very lifeboat. I felt so scared and exposed, I really didn't see any way out of this one. I thought for sure that Bailey locked the door...no wait she did, I saw her do it myself before she left, but then how did Steve and his creeps get in here? Does he also have a set of keys like Mal does?

Why does this stuff keep happening to me? And why must I always have to lean on Mal for help like some silly damsel in distress? I know he claims he's not my hero so I guess that makes him my protector instead?

Now was not the time to be pondering these notions not when at any given moment that Steve could sic his creeps on us and Mal can only go toe to toe with one guy at a time with just his fists alone, so that left me pretty exposed and easy pickings for Steve or whoever was nearest to me.

I whimpered quietly as I tightened my grip around Mal's waist and was nearly startled when his hand met mine under the covers as he placed his over mine and squeezed it, he then called my name in a low tone of voice and I lifted my head only high enough to peek around the crook over Mal's shoulder and his neck.

It was like he knew what I was about to say and ask him as he turned his head towards mine and spoke in the same low voice, "Look, I know you're afraid, but I will get us out of this mess. That's a promise. Not one of them is going to lay a finger on you. I will kill them if they try it. Just do as I tell you and don't agree with me."

I was trembling as I mumbled back in a small, scared voice, "I will. I'll do as you say."

Before I could hide my face behind Mal once more I saw Steve and his creeps leering at us as Steve spoke up and jeered at Mal and said, "Isn't this just sweet?... Mal and his pretty little slave girl all tangled up in each other's arms like lovers. How romantic!"

Mal ignored Steve's comment altogether as I could feel him tensing up as his voice turned suddenly dark and dangerous as he demanded, "How'd you peons get in here? The door was locked and I saw to it myself."

Steve's grin only widened as he boasted in an overly cocky tone and said, "I think we both know how I got in here Mal. But then again you never did pay much attention to my own resourceful talents. You may have Chef's keys to this dump, but I have lock-picking skills that you can't even begin to match. How do you think I got out of the meat cooler last night, pal?"

So that's how he did it...it made perfect sense now!

I don't know how I knew that Steve was a lot more intelligent than what he lets on, but if my hunch was correct, he probably figured out from the looks I gave him last night that Bailey is indeed female.