Chapter 61: You'll Never Win My Love

Roxanne's Pov:

The moment we arrived back inside the facility, I had tried to get Mal to go see the nurse about his hand, but he said that she wasn't in today. I wasn't buying it because I knew for a fact that she has never missed a day up in this place, so I gave him the stink eye as I dragged him by his other hand to the infirmary myself, but only to find that for once Mal was telling the truth. I was surprised as we all stood outside of the infirmary door with its lights and no one inside.

I stood there in front of her door with an "out for the day" sign on it feeling pretty stupid about now as Mal smirked and smugly commented, "Believe me now do you?"

"Only because I had to confirm it myself since all you do it lie about everything!" I threw back at him as I put my hands on my hips and gave him a stern look of disapproval.

"I don't lie about everything!" He retorted giving me an annoyed look.

"Yes, you do! Don't even try to deny it because I'm not falling for it anymore." I said heatedly as I continued to give him the look.

"Fine then. Whatever makes you happy. Believe what you will, but I don't always lie. I just don't always tell you everything." He smugly said with that ridiculous smirk still on his face.

"And you wonder why I won't say yes to you." I confidently remarked as I spun on my heel and left him standing there with an annoyed look as his one visible eye starting twitching.

Mike and the gang kept giving us nervous and/or unsettling looks as they followed me and Mal back to the mess hall to wrap things up for the day because for one we had left Cinnamon's sweets and other things behind as I made my failed attempt of running away from juvie and Mal again, and two there really was nowhere else to hang out with everyone aside from that.

Duncan's Pov:

I'm not going to lie...this has been the weirdest day I've experienced yet. I could see Roxanne falling for someone or even dating someone, but Mal. Ha...no. Fat chance. There was no way in hell could I ever see a guy as disturbed in the head as Mal falling for someone...let again Roxanne, so the behavior those two were demonstrating was pretty out there. Judging from the looks on Mike, Zoey, and my girl's face, they were pretty much at a loss by it too. I was starting to think that maybe I had finally crossed over to the twilight zone or something close to it. The way they were interacting was vaguely familiar too. It was nagging at me in the back of my head...I could almost put my finger on it...after a few minutes of watching them bicker and verbally fight with one another...it hit me. This was almost exactly like watching a mirrored-version of Courtney and me duking it out in a parallel universe when we were seeing each other back in the day. It was a love-hate relationship and it didn't last for very long, and observing the way these two fight...a relationship was out of question let alone a marriage. I don't know what Roxanne's grandfather was thinking, but he clearly hasn't seen these two really react with one another or else he wouldn't have to push it with a stamp of approval.

We were still standing outside of the infirmary as I made a comment that wasn't directed at anyone in particular as I said, "Dude...is it just me or does this kinda remind you guys of when me and Courtney use to date?"

Bailey looked like she had spaced out as she was engrossed with watching Mal and Roxanne exchange snipe remarks with one another and then looked at me with this expression like it all made sense now as she said, "You're right...it does. It's so weird though. What gets me is the stuff she's pulled with him that we just got through witnessing in the last couple of hours would have landed Zoey and me both in a lot of trouble with him. We'd be dead if we even thought about doing half of what she's done. He either really likes her as Zoey said before or he's learnt to control his temper. Though I don't really see neither one of them as realistically possible when it comes down to it."