Chapter 42: Smooth Operator

Roxanne's Pov:

Soon after we shortly caught our breath, Mal grunted as he climbed up to his feet and got off of me, surprisingly enough he actually offered me his hand to help me up to my feet, his sudden change in behavior startled me, it was nice and that's what worried me because Mal wasn't the type of person that was "nice." Ever...Well except for when he decided to take it upon himself the last two times to stitch up my foot, that was the closest to the nicest thing he's ever done for me...Well, that and that time he held off all those guys on our floor so I could escape to the elevator and well maybe a few other times... Okay fine, maybe he did do a few nice things, but I pretty sure they weren't out of pure intentions...

After being trapped in the elevator shaft for such a long period of time while being suspended in the air trying to hold onto Mal for dear life, I was tired and beat beyond recognition, all of my muscles hurt especially my arms and legs. They had cramped up at one point for staying in the same position for so long and speaking of positions, I never want to be in that kind of position again, especially with Mal. The thought of it made me flush all over with embarrassment, it was completely inappropriate even though knowing him, he probably enjoyed every second of it.

One thing that gets me is why he's suddenly taken an unhealthy and insatiable obsession with me...He held no interest in me before when we first met, and now it's like he a gnat that won't go away...What does he want anyways?...

I was soon brought back to reality as he helped me to my feet, and I began to look around for the first time since we got out to see where we landed, it looked eerily familiar, and then it struck me when my eyes locked onto another set of eyes that was vaguely familiar. They were the very same eyes of that creep that tried to kidnap me earlier tonight, I felt my insides turn to ice as a chilling feeling dread rushed over me, I began to back away slowly and soon bumped into Mal from behind which broke the intense eye contact I was having with that freak in his cell.

I turned around to see him gaze at me with an annoyed look on his face as he said, "Watch it, would you?," He began as he grabbed me by my hand and pulled me with him towards the stairway as he continued on, "We don't have time to stand around and gawk. Come on, it's already late."

Taking a hold of his arm that held my hand firmly, I made no fuss as I did my best to keep up with his long stride, his legs were longer than mine so it wasn't easy, I wasn't a fan of being this close to Mal either, but right now I'd rather take my chances with him than all of the creeps combined on this floor. It was the same floor Mal took me to get that stupid tattoo.

"Please slow down some, I can barely keep up." I begged, as I nervously looked up at him only for him to look down at me with annoyance knitted on his brow.

He groaned and swore out loud, but strangely enough, he slowed his speedy pace some, I didn't complain any further as I did all I could to keep up with him. Suddenly before we went up the steps, he threw me off his shoulders which took my breath away, and caused me to almost let out a small shriek of panic which I muffled through clenched teeth. I growled out of frustration, I refused to be treated this way again, so I reach up and pulled his hair, he instantly dropped me and growled angrily at me with a dangerous look in his eyes.

"Stop carrying me like a sack of potatoes!" I said feeling frustrated as I poked him in his face with annoyance sketched out all over mine.

"Stop poking my face!" Mal said irritably as he pulled my hand from his face.

"Why are you worried I might ruin your looks or something?!" I said as I smirked with a look of challenge etched all over my body language as I pulled my hand away from his grasps.