》28. I'll always be safe with you beside me《

Chapter 28: I'll always be safe with you beside me

"We got him, Vi. We finally fucking got him," Devin grinned at me through the screen.

Devin was informing me of how Nathan Hitchens had finally slipped up and now they managed to put him in custody with enough evidence. He was our main culprit and this was a good accomplishment. But not good enough; this assignment for us all was moving too slow.

Aiden and I had been here a month while the team analysed and investigated and gathered evidence. But it still wasn't enough.

"We've been interrogating him for quite a while but he'll crack soon," Jake added.

I nodded and leaned back in my seat. "What about Derek Blackwell?"

Devin's eyes narrowed and his features changed into a frown. "We can't find him. He's still in Phoenix but he's keeping such a low profile, he's practically invisible."

"Then make him visible," I said angrily. "He has been in Phoenix for a month. That scares the shit out of me guys. He is too close; clearly he must know where we are. I don't know why he's waiting."

Devin nodded and Jake sent me a small smile. "We know, Vi. We really are trying our best. It's just he has been hiding from HAC for so long. He's just too good."

Devin quickly intervened before I could reply. "But we're better," he said with a look of determination.

I exhaled a breath and smiled at them. "So what did you find out about him being connected to my parents?"

Jake shuffled in his seat uncomfortably. "He was right that night at the party. He did know your parents. Really well."

I resisted the urge to shrink away in my seat at the mention of this. I had finally found the courage to ask them to research the connection between Derek and my parents yesterday, on mum's birthday.

Devin continued. "Your parents were partners here, but Derek was both a combat and a tech, which is why it is so difficult to find him right now. He went on a lot of missions with them. You could even say he was their third partner."

I clenched my jaw at the thought of Derek Blackwell being close to my parents. The things that I read about him were disgusting – he went from an amazing agent who did good and protected, to a ruthless killer on the run for years.

"He went missing straight after your parents' death. No one knows why. The system only shows that a few months after he began being involved with drug deals and human trafficking and murder. We can't piece together what changed him though."

I nodded and furrowed my brows. "He went missing straight after my parents' death?" I asked and Devin nodded. I faltered before asking my next question. "Do you guys think he was involved in their death?"

Jake instantly shook his head. "No, not at all. Come on Vi, we know your parents had a car accident. It wasn't murder."

Relief washed over me. My parents had died in a car accident. They died on impact – it was quick and painless.

After bidding then goodbye, I made my way into the living room where Aiden sat lazily watching tv. He saw me and frowned.

"Woah, what's with the face? C'mere," his voice was laced in worry and I smiled as he opened his arms.

I nestled down on the couch beside him and Aiden instantly wrapped his arms around me. He was laying down and so my body simply melded with his, my back to his front and our legs tangled. He buried his face into the crook of my neck and inhaled deeply. I smiled. Aiden loved the way I smelt.