》17. Nervous about being married to me?《

Chapter 17: Nervous about being married to me?

I slumped down on the couch in the conference room as everyone left.

The meeting had lasted two hours and exhaustion weighed me down. It was between Uncle Felix and both the leaders team from here and London. Everything had been discussed.

Tomorrow morning, our plan was going to fall into action. The safe houses were the first step; I would take Aiden to a separate one from the rest of his family. We decided separating them would be good as it allowed further security. After the family was secured and safe, I would only be in contact with my team. The same went for Sebastian and Jessica who were going to be with Aiden's parents and Crystal.

Our main priority right now was keeping them safe while the rest of the team – Devin and Jake – figured everything out. They would begin from Nathan Hitchens and find out everything they could about him and link him to the few ex-military people involved in this.

The criminals we had brought in tonight had been interrogated and they weren't letting anything slip. Though I figured after a few days of starvation, they'd be more than willing to speak.

These type of assignments we liked to refer to as going 'underground' or 'off the radar'. No type of communication devices were to be taken other than the guardian which could not be infiltrated in any way. It gave off a signal which only our tech guys could code and understand.

I rarely went on assignments like these and so I couldn't help but feel nervous. I sighed and stared down at my phone clenched between my fingers. It was twelve right now which meant it was five in the morning back home.

Travis picked up after a few rings. "Vi? Is everything alright?" He instantly asked, his voice groggy and full of concern.

"I'm fine. I've just had a pretty hectic night," I said and bit the inside of my cheek.

"What happened?" Travis asked.

"The usual. An kidnapping attempt  at the party but it's all good and we're fine," I chuckled, trying to make a joke out of it because I knew he would worry. I cleared my throat. "I actually called because I'm going to be gone for a while."

I heard shuffling on the other line. "What? Why?"

I glanced down at my tattered converses and sighed. "I'm taking Aiden to a safe house. No communication is allowed because it breeches security. I'll be in contact with my team though."

I heard Travis sigh. "I hate that you go on these dangerous missions. You look after these strangers but who is looking after you? No one," Travis claimed in exasperation.

"That's not true, Trav." I protested. "I take care of myself and I have Sebastian. I'm going to be fine. I always come back, don't I?" I said gently.

"I'm not happy about this, Vi," he said quietly and I nodded even though he couldn't see me.

"I know," I whispered. "But this is important. And... I have something else to tell you."

"Yeah?"

I rubbed my face in caution. "A man who has been on HAC's most wanted list is involved. And he said he knew mum and dad. He said he worked with them."

There was a pause and I knew Travis was trying to figure out what to say. He finally spoke. "So what if he knew mum and dad? There's nothing to investigate here, Vi."

I shook my head. "No, I think there is. He said he knew all about me and I don't know, Trav. I just have this gut feeling that there's more to it," I said in brutal honesty.