Chapter 23

Chapter 23: Funeral, Tears, Pain and Magic

[Your POV]
We were all gathered around in the dojo, a red blanket pulled over Donnie's body. Candles and incense sticks were lit, cherry blossom petals were scattered around him.

It was his funeral - a funeral we almost refused to have from denial of Donnie being dead, but it would've had to happen sooner or later. Everyone was standing around him, even April and Cassie, who had upon hearing the news had been broken up with grief too. The room being dark, the only light in the room coming from the candles.

It was time for us all to give a speech, I was voted first to go, the first to tell my speech, even though it was so hard to take this all in "t-today.." I stuttered through tears "t-today we have gathered around to say our goodbyes to Donatello Hamata. For a great man has fallen" my voice sounded like a whimper as I spoke, it was so hard to speak about this, I felt knives of guilt stab me with every word I spoke.

I looked at the turtle brothers "a brother.."

I turned to look at Splinter, who was crying, his hands clutching at his green cane tightly "a son.."

Finally, I looked at April, who was burying her face into Casey's shoulder while crying, Casey's face filled with tears, but trying to look tough at the same time, I down at my feet, tears falling and hitting the ground "a friend.."

You could hear the sniffling of Mikey's sobs. Poor guy, he looked so broken..

I had to continue, so I went on, keeping my head up to face everyone "Donatello was dear to us, how much he meant to you I could never begin to understand.. Since he was your brother and son, I was just a meer friend.. But I can say.. He has taken a piece of all our hearts.."

I stopped, I couldn't say anymore, it was to unbearable... But it was now Leo's turn, but Leo was struggling to evenift his eyes off of Donnie's body.

Leo breathed in, then out "as our leader and eldest brother, Donnie's death will forever be engraved in our minds.. We will all dearly miss him."

Once everyone except Splinter and Mike said their speeches, Mikey spoke up "Donnie was one of the best bros who would build us stuff, hopefully there will be pizza waiting for him so he can never be hungry" he sobbed as he finished.

Splinter squeezed at his cane, keeping his calm persona up as usual, tears sliding down his face "Donnatello was dear to us all, his memory will stay with us forever. For he may not be here to stand with us, but he will always be in our hearts, never to be forgotten till the end of our days."

At this point, even Splinter couldn't keep his calm persona anymore, as he quietly began to cry. We all picked him up and took him to his lab, the one place he loved to spend his time at.

Splinter shut the doors to the lab after everyone came out, locking it with a pad lock so no one would have access into it without the key he had with him.

I was... Pretty much blank after the speeches, my mental state just shutting down completely. Half of me wanted to just spiral into a deep depression, but the other half told me not to, cause Donnie wouldn't want this. He'd want you to get stronger from this, but how could I? Its more of one of those easier said then done sort of situations.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's been hours after the funeral. I've been working my butt off in training, I can't let anyone else die. Not on my watch. I can't just sit here and just let the chance of anyone else getting hurt to happen. I have to, no, NEED to get stronger. Even if it takes me a lifetime.