Wine Cups Part 1

[Zu Qianqiu reached into his pocket and took out a wine cup. Smooth andsoft, it was actually a white jade cup. He reached in again, and went on takingout more and more wine cups.]

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

As the boat came near the city of Kaifeng[1], a conversation about fellow martial people in Kaifeng started among the Yue Buqun couple and their apprentices.

"Even though Kaifeng is a big city, there's not a great deal of interest in martial arts around here. And for people like old Escort Hua, senior Master Hai, or the Three Elites of Henan, they have neither truly outstanding martial arts skills nor great fame. Let's just tour around some of the scenic spots and historical sites. We can skip visiting anyone or any studios so we won't disturb anyone," Yue Buqun suggested.

"But senior apprentice brother, have you forgotten that very famous figure in the city of Kaifeng?" Madam Yue grinned.

"A very famous figure? Who...who are you referring to?" Yue Buqun asked.

"'Cure one and kill one; kill one then cure one. Cure as many as I kill; that shows my skill.' Now who's that?" Madam Yue gave a hint.

"Aha, you are talking about the 'Killer Doctor' Ping One-Finger. He is indeed very famous. But he's so eccentric that he most probably wouldn't want to see us even if we paid him a visit," Yue Buqun said with a smile.

"That's true. Or else we could have asked this Killer Doctor to take a look at Chong's injuries since Chong's inner wounds are not getting any better and we just happen to be coming to Kaifeng anyway," Madam Yue agreed.

"Mom, what does the nickname Killer Doctor mean? If he is a killer, how can he be a famous doctor?" Yue Lingshan asked in curiosity.

"Well, this Doctor Ping is a weirdo...well...a strange fellow in the Martial World. He has profound medical knowledge and his magical hands can bring the dying back to life. It is said that regardless of how ill or how badly wounded the patient is, so long as he agrees to work on him the patient will be cured for sure. But he has this very odd rule. He says that God of Heaven and Lord of Underworld, of course, both know how many people are there in this world. If he cured too many people so that less people die, there would be too many living and too few dead. Certainly the Lord of Underworld is not going to be too fond of that. And when his final days come, even if the Lord of Underworld leaves him alone, his officers and goblins would for sure get even with him, therefore, his days in the underworld probably are not going to be easy at all," Madam Yue explained with a light grin.

Quite amused by these words, all the apprentices giggled.

"That's why he made an oath," Madam Yue continued, "that so long as he cures someone, he must kill another one to even the numbers. And if he kills someone, he must cure another one to make up. He put up this big banner right in his office, which said clearly, 'Cure one and kill one; kill one then cure one. Cure as many as I kill; that shows my skill.' He says that because of this practice, the God of Heaven wouldn't fault him for taking away lives, and Lord of Underworld wouldn't blame him for taking over his business either."