Healing Part 1

[Linghu Chong slowly closed his eyes. His breathing gradually slowed downand soon he fell asleep. Yilin stayed by Linghu Chong's side, and gentlywhisked a leafy branch to drive away mosquitoes and other bugs for him.]

Yilin followed the girl outside. "What's your name?" she asked.

The girl gave a sly grin. "My last name is Linghu and my first name is Chong!"

Yilin's heart thumped. "I asked you politely, why are you making fun of me?" She pulled a long face.

"What makes you think I'm making fun of you?" The girl kept grinning. "Do you think your friend is the only one who is called Linghu Chong?"

Yilin felt deep sorrow in her heart. She sighed and could no longer hold her tears back. "Big brother Linghu was my savior," she said. "His death was my fault, I...I am not worthy to be his friend."

Just then, in the hallway outside, two hunchbacks hurried by. Yilin recognized them as the Hunchback of the North Mu Gaofeng, and Lin Pingzhi. The girl giggled.

"What odds! An old, ugly hunchback, together with a young, ugly hunchback."

Yilin was a bit annoyed at the girl's remarks. "Girl," she asked, "is it possible for you to find your mother and father by yourself? My head is beginning to hurt, and I'm not feeling very well right now."

The girl grinned. "I know you're faking a headache. You're just mad because I used Linghu Chong's name. My dear sis, your master asked you to take care of me; are you abandoning me already? If some rascals pick on me again, your master's going to blame you for sure!"

"You are much more capable than I am, and you're very smart too. Even the renowned Master Yu didn't know what to do with you. People are all thanking Buddha that you aren't the one picking on others. Who would dare bully you?" Yilin countered.

The girl burst into laughter. She held Yilin's hand and said, "Now you're the one making fun of me. If it weren't for your Master, that bull-nose would've beaten me up. Sis, my name is Qu Feiyan. My grandpa calls me Feifei; you can call me Feifei too."

Yilin felt a little better when the girl said her real name. But she also thought it was strange that the girl knew she was still thinking about Linghu Chong, and used his name to startle her. Maybe the clever and eccentric girl had hidden outside the window and overheard her report to all the masters. "Well," she said, "Miss Qu, let's go find your mother and father then. Where do you think they might be?"

"I know where they went," Qu Feiyan said. "If you want to look for them, you can go by yourself. I'm not going."

"Why don't you want to go?" Yilin asked in surprise.

"I am still too young; of course I don't want to go. But you're different, you're so gloomy and depressed right now, maybe you'd prefer to go there early," Qu Feiyan said.