The Wager Part 4

"Good, good! I like your frankness," Mr. Paint remarked. "This room here is very spacious. Let me exchange a few moves with Brother Feng right here then. Brother Feng, where is your sword?"

"We are not bold enough to bring weapons to the Plum Manor," Xiang Wentian replied with a smile.

"Bring me two swords," Mr. Paint shouted out.

Someone answered from outside the room and soon Ding Jian and Shi Lingwei returned, each holding a sword with both hands. Walking in front of Mr. Paint, they bowed and presented the swords. Picking up the sword from Ding Jian's hands, Mr. Paint said to Shi Lingwei, "Give that sword to him."

"Yes," Shi Lingwei acknowledged and then walked in front of Linghu Chong, holding the sword high with both hands.

Feeling very embarrassed about this entire matter, Linghu Chong turned his head and glanced at Xiang Wentian.

"The Fourth Master of the Plum Manor has reached the acme in the understanding of sword arts. Brother Feng, even if you could only learn one move or one technique from him, you would still benefit from it the rest of your life," Xiang Wentian affirmed.

Linghu Chong knew that under the current circumstance, this sword contest had become inevitable. Having no other alternatives, he took the sword with both hands, bowing slightly.

"Hold it, Fourth Brother," Mr. Black-White spoke up suddenly. "This Brother Tong here has put up a wager that no one in our Plum Manor can defeat Brother Feng. Ding Jian also knows how to use a sword, and he is also part of the Plum Manor. You don't necessarily have to do it yourself." The more confident Xiang Wentian sounded, the more worried he became. So he decided to let Ding Jian take the challenge first and test the water. He knew that Ding Jian possessed excellent skills in sword arts; besides, Ding was only a servant in the Plum Manor. Even if Ding lost the fight, there would have been no harm done to the great name of the Plum Manor. And with this test, they would be able to tell how good or bad this Feng Er-Zhong's skills in sword arts actually were.

"Sure, sure! As long as a person from the Plum Manor defeats my Brother Feng's sword arts, it counts as our defeat. It doesn't have to be the four masters themselves. Brother Ding here has earned the nickname 'Straight Line Lightning Sword' in the Martial World. His sword moves are so fast. Such speed is rarely seen in the world. Brother Feng, it will be good for you if you check out Brother Ding's Straight Line Lightning Sword first." Xiang Wentian did not object.

Mr. Paint tossed his long sword toward Ding Jian. "If you lose, you'll be going to Turpan to transport wine for me as your punishment." He grinned.

Ding Jian caught the long sword with a blow and turned toward Linghu Chong. "Ding Jian here thanks Mister Feng for the chance of the sword match," he said. A short ring echoed as he drew his sword.

Linghu Chong also drew his sword and set the sheath on the stone table.

"Three Masters, Brother Ding, this is a contest of sword arts, so there's no need to compete in the inner strength department," Xiang Wentian spoke up again.

"Of course both sides will know when to stop," Mr. Black-White commented.

"Brother Feng," Xiang Wentian turned to Linghu Chong, "you have to promise to not use any inner strength in the match. We are having a contest of sword arts. The one with fine and intimate moves wins the match and the one with crude and sluggish moves loses it. The inner energy cultivation method of your Huashan School is very well-known in the Martial World. If you use your inner strength to achieve victory, then it counts as our defeat."